Aug. 3, 2012 Tod Inlet (Saanich Inlet) video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool Mark, a real treasure hunt!
Lot's of squid eggs. Do you know what that small wreck was with the motor in (12-13 minute range)? Also, did it look like that last wreck had been filled with trash before sinking or was the trash collected afterward and just deposited there? Either way, lot's of stuff to poke around at.

Very cool Mark, a real treasure hunt!
Lot's of squid eggs. Do you know what that small wreck was with the motor in (12-13 minute range)? Also, did it look like that last wreck had been filled with trash before sinking or was the trash collected afterward and just deposited there? Either way, lot's of stuff to poke around at.

There were 2 wrecks in the shallows on that dive (one of them was right at the begining and again at the end of the video). I assume the story was the same with both of them. Tod inlet is famous (infamous?) for it's community of people living on permenantly-moored boats (it's a sheltered spot). Some of the boats would make a good subject for those trendy "hoarding" TV shows. Scrap metal, batteries, appliances, engines, etc. pile up in the boats and eventually they sink. The sides of the wooden hulls rot away, leaving the bottom of the hulls with a pile of junk on top. There used to be more wrecks, but I think at least one was removed. There are also a few smaller boats/outboards/etc.
The wealthier owners of the surrounding properties have been trying to have the boat residents cleared out for years as they consider the boats to be an eyesore and an environmental hazard. Of course when you dive under the docks of the waterfront properties, you see all the same discarded junk under there too.

There were 2 wrecks in the shallows on that dive (one of them was right at the begining and again at the end of the video). I assume the story was the same with both of them. Tod inlet is famous (infamous?) for it's community of people living on permenantly-moored boats (it's a sheltered spot). Some of the boats would make a good subject for those trendy "hoarding" TV shows. Scrap metal, batteries, appliances, engines, etc. pile up in the boats and eventually they sink. The sides of the wooden hulls rot away, leaving the bottom of the hulls with a pile of junk on top. There used to be more wrecks, but I think at least one was removed. There are also a few smaller boats/outboards/etc.
The wealthier owners of the surrounding properties have been trying to have the boat residents cleared out for years as they consider the boats to be an eyesore and an environmental hazard. Of course when you dive under the docks of the waterfront properties, you see all the same discarded junk under there too.

Always amazed at the things I find in the inlet... take a left at Willis Point dive and about 40 minutes out you'll hit the largest pile of tires I've ever seen. It's at about 90' just a huge tire dump. Lot's of ruby reds octo's there but other than that it looks like crap.

CD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom