auckland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh2934

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, i'm canadian. i'm coming to auckland in september. can anyone tell me what the water temps are like around then? are there any shore dives in the area? i'd appreciate anything anyone has to say about the area. thank you all.

Hey Josh,

How long are you coming for? I've dived a fair bit up around Tobermory as well as NZ, so can give you both absolute and relative answers!

September is about the coldest month of the year in terms of water temperatures. Coastal diving will be about 12-14 degC (sorry, Fahrenheit is a foreign language to me!) at that time of year. Some of the offshore sites like the Poor Knights will be 1-2 degrees warmer. It's probably warmer than deeper dives in Lake Huron in summer!

Auckland is great in many ways, but in terms of accessible shore diving it's not. There are places like Long Bay that are only 20 minutes or so from the city, but the diving is shallow, fairly murky and not much life around. There is also the (in)famous Lake Pupuke, which is a great training site and very convenient - but it takes a special kind of person to love diving in the lake. At that time of year it's also cold, probably around 8 degC with several thermoclines and even colder as you get deeper.

What Auckland has got, though, is some fantastic diving not too far away. Goat Island is probably the nearest decent shore diving, it's about an hour or so out of town and very convenient as a shore dive. There are a couple of other sites around the Leigh area that are worth exploring as shore dives. You've also got Goat Island Dive who run charters to a number of sites in the Hauraki Gulf.

Slightly further afield you have places like the Poor Knights Islands, the Tutukaka wrecks, the Rainbow Warrior and Matai Bay in the north, that are between 2 and 5 hours drive. I've got photos of the various spots on our website that will give you an idea of what the diving is like:

Photo Gallery - Tech Dive NZ - Technical Diving & Technical Dive Training in New Zealand

Heading south (and east) you have spots like the Coromandel, the Mercury Islands, Lake Taupo and my favourite dive site of all time, Volkner Rocks.

Feel free to get in touch via PM if you want more information, or just post up your questions here!

hey Andy, thanks! thats what i needed to hear. i guess i might wanna bring a 7mm suit then eh? damn, i was hopeing it'd be warmer. at least there's life around there. i can probably afford doing a charter for one day. how far ahead should i book that? also, will they let my girlfreind come on the boat just to hang out? i can't really leave her on the mainland. ok, thanks again andy. happy diving.
Josh

hey Andy, thanks! thats what i needed to hear. i guess i might wanna bring a 7mm suit then eh? damn, i was hopeing it'd be warmer.

But the vis (offshore at least) will be brilliant!! Shore diving sites, vis can be hit or miss depending on whether it has rained or not.

i can probably afford doing a charter for one day. how far ahead should i book that? also, will they let my girlfreind come on the boat just to hang out?

It depends on the charter company and where they are going. To be honest, at that time of year a lot of the charters are operating on the domestic market so there will be space. Even during peak season, companies like Dive! Tutukaka will have space if you turned up on the day. I'd definitely recommend a trip to the Poor Knights if you can find the time.

Most of the charter companies have a "snorkellers rate" for people wanting to get out for the day but not dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom