Attempt at enlightened DIR discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Discussions about GUE's approach to dive planning and execution might be a bit more enlightening ... and might even give the non-DIR divers reading these threads some insight into why they should consider taking a class.

But frankly, I get way more of that standing in the parking lot at our local mudhole than I've ever gotten on the Internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I just got back from a great weekend of diving in the San Juans and during the drive back home I was comptemplating the weekend. I was not diving with other DIR divers but my buddy and I were following the pre-dive sequence pretty closely. One of the things that I don't like is GUE-EDGE. My dislike became more apparent when conducting the pre-dive planning with someone unfamiliar with GUE-EDGE.

I don't think it flows in a logical sequence. Why do we discuss gas management after deco. Or environment after everything else. I would think a logical sequence would be something to the effect of Goal, Team, Environment, Exposure, Gas, Deco, Equipment (last and in the water because I am usually sweating my ***** off during the equipment match if it's on dry land and besides, it goes naturally with bubble check and mod s). Or something like that anyway. At least it would follow a more natural progression.

All in all, it's really a very nit-picky detail and perhaps not worthy of discussion. However, I thought the collective wisdom of the board might be more inspired by this discussion of this minutia rather than whether an OMS spg is DIR or black skirt vs clear skirt. So anyone care to propose a new acronym?

Just think of the clout you'd have claiming rights to this new acronym. I gotta think a while for mine.

Hunter

Actually, I like GUE EDGE. Your exposure (depth and time) and your decompression (time and depths) determine your gas requirements. Follows logically for me.

Leaving environment to the last allows you to spend the end of the briefing talking about site-specific details that you might want freshest in your mind when you hit the water.

The only one that seems kind of artificially out of sequence is the "Equipment" portion. I've read that some people use this to do their head-to-toe equipment check, but I think it's actually supposed to be a discussion of any extra or unusual equipment that is being brought with the team. It doesn't seem to fit well anywhere.

Often, much of the value in a standardized procedure is in the STANDARDIZATION.

Even if the standard is slightly sub-optimal, it has great benefits in being standard. Other divers with the same training will be on the same page, same understanding, same expectations.

Standardization and common knowledge is what makes a team.

My understanding was that it provided an opportunity to brief divers as to the location of 'spare team gear' that not everyone would have. For example, "...if one of you drops a jonline (double-ender, whatever), Joe has a spare in his right thigh pocket".

But I've been wrong lots of times... :wink:

I have never been one for mnemonics. SADDDD(D?) had to many Ds to remember if you missed any, while GUE EDGE is pretty contrived to me.

I figure as long as I hit all the issues the funny names don't make much difference. I often reorder the issues depending on the dive site and priorities (heavens!).

rjack321:
I have never been one for mnemonics. SADDDD(D?) had to many Ds to remember if you missed any, while GUE EDGE is pretty contrived to me.

I figure as long as I hit all the issues the funny names don't make much difference. I often reorder the issues depending on the dive site and priorities (heavens!).
Ditto

rjack321:

Are there any dives or circumstances that you would specifically use GUE EDGE, in the "standardized" order, where it would make a difference to "go by the book?"

do it easy:
Are there any dives or circumstances that you would specifically use GUE EDGE, in the "standardized" order, where it would make a difference to "go by the book?"

With a buddy who wants to is plenty reason for me. Its no big deal for me to reorder although I may have to look at my notes to remember which letter goes with which issue.

TSandM:
Actually, I like GUE EDGE. Your exposure (depth and time) and your decompression (time and depths) determine your gas requirements. Follows logically for me.

Valid point. I guess it kind of depends on the style of diving you are doing. This last weekend was text book rec diving and in my case exposure was dictated by useable gas rather than by the goal. My buddy was diving single AL80 on air and the only real goals were to find octopus and other cool stuff and have a fun safe dive. Each dive was limited by his available air.

Actually, now that I have re-read my paragraph above perhaps I have resolved my own delima. In a true DIR dive you decide on the goal and all other considerations are to support that goal. I was not engaging in true DIR diving this weekend and therefore my OP is outside of the scope of DIR anyway.

Oh well, I am still looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

As others have mentioned, I may misunderstand the Equipment step. During class we used the equipment step as equipment match rather than discussion of specialized equipment (although any specialized or unique equipment was discussed at this point).

Let me ask another questions - How do you use GUE-EDGE? Do you discuss well in advance of the dive or do you do it just prior to getting in. Again, I guess it depends on the situation. A tech dive will require more planning than a rec dive. I guess I am most interested in rec answers as that is the kind of diving I am currently doing.

Hunter.

coldsmoke:
Let me ask another questions - How do you use GUE-EDGE? Do you discuss well in advance of the dive or do you do it just prior to getting in. Again, I guess it depends on the situation. A tech dive will require more planning than a rec dive. I guess I am most interested in rec answers as that is the kind of diving I am currently doing.

Some dives get discussed weeks in advance. Once you have a variety of gases to choose from and only a certain number of cylinders it get important to plan your dives a ways out and avoid having to dump/waste gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom