Attachment point in BC pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a SeaQuest Balance BC. I want to put a ring or some other attachment point in my pocket to clip the contents into to prevent loss. Have any of you done this? There is mesh in part of the pocket but it looks like it would tear out if I put a ring or loop there. Are there any other ideas other than sewing a loop/ring throught the nylon? I can't believe that SeaQuest didn't put a loop in there. Thanks.

Cetacea makes a "pin-mount" D-ring. I put one in the right pocket of my Seaquest ProQD, and then put a bungee loop on that. It has a threaded pin that is easy to poke through the front of the pocket, just below the zipper, so that the d-ring is inside the pocket.

The bungee loop in the left pocket just goes onto the existing strap for the key clip.

jmps:
I have a SeaQuest Balance BC. I want to put a ring or some other attachment point in my pocket to clip the contents into to prevent loss. Have any of you done this? There is mesh in part of the pocket but it looks like it would tear out if I put a ring or loop there. Are there any other ideas other than sewing a loop/ring throught the nylon? I can't believer the SeaQuest didn't put a loop in there. Thanks.
I've done that with the BC's I own that didn't already have an attachment loop in the pocket. Interesting the Balance doesn't have one... both my explorer and my ProQD do, as does my wife's Diva.
Rick

When I had one, I melted a couple of holes through the pocket exterior with a soildering iron, and popped brass grommets in. I then just tied a ring to the inside of the pocket through the grommets.

My Zeagle Brigade doesn't have a ring inside it either. I didn't
want to go the pin route. In my case, most of the things
that I carry either have lanyards or I can put lanyards on and
then I clip the lanyard or wrap the cord through a D ring that is just below the
pocket. Then I stuff
the item in the pocket and zip the pocket closed down onto the lanyard.
I do this with a tiny dry bag that I put my keys, and a few
other small items in.
This is nice for me since if I need the item I can easily
pull it out and even unclip it if I need to yet if I forget to zip
up the pocket or something, the item won't get away.

--- bill

I did what sounds like you're worried about and it works great. I found clipping in lower to be problematic with more than one thing to unclip. I didn't like any lanyards looping up or down from the D's either (and dissapearing into the pocket. The third photo is the loaded D with pocket closed.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and even pics! I ordered a pin d-ring and will give that a go first. If it is sturdy enough I will stick with it. I didn't know that they existed since no LDS I tried stocks them. If I don't like how it works my wife said she has some needles that will work to sew into the top portion.

I got the pin ring and it didn't work very well. It was a clamshell design that I had to split in two and then it didn't hold well enough for me. So, we (I say we because my loving wife really did it :)) sewed in some webbing and a brass ring in the pocket. Works great. Now I have a secure and non dangly place for my backup light and SMB just in time for Cozumel. Thanks for the advice and pics everyone.

jmps:
I got the pin ring and it didn't work very well. It was a clamshell design that I had to split in two and then it didn't hold well enough for me. So, we (I say we because my loving wife really did it :)) sewed in some webbing and a brass ring in the pocket. Works great. Now I have a secure and non dangly place for my backup light and SMB just in time for Cozumel. Thanks for the advice and pics everyone.

Where did you find it worked the best? In the fron of the pocket or in the back of the pocket? I was wondering if one location is easier than the other to pull out the attached loop/D-ring/bungie with everything on it, detach what you want, and stuff it back in?

I put the ring in the front top of the pocket just below the zipper so if it is unzipped I can feel the ring better. I left enough webbing that it can come out of the pocket if needed. The material on the Balance is also tough on the front. The nylon (carpeting) thread we used was actually white and I colored it with a black permanent marker and it is invisible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom