Attaching shock cords to Peregrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just purchased the Peregrine and am very happy with it as compared to my former Oceanic Geo 2.0 (at least while sitting here at my desk). My first dives with it will be in a couple of weeks. I have only ever used a strap with a dive watch, so when the LDS owner asked if I wanted her to attach the strap or the shock cord, I just automatically said the strap. After getting home, though, I discovered it no longer really fits in the case. Research on here led me to find that others also have this problem and the recommendation is to switch to the shock cords. Which led to more research about how to use the cords. Unfortunately, the Peregrine's pin holes are rotated 90° from almost all videos/explanations I can find. That is, the cord would be threaded parallel to the top/bottom edges as opposed to perpendicular. Does anyone have pictures or videos on a secure way to attach the cords? The manual is particularly unhelpful "The simplest option is to secure the shock cord is with four simple overhand knots. However, this method is not adjustable and a knot might pull through its mounting hole at very high load. "

Thanks!

I keep mine with 2 bungees (5mm iirc) with overhand knots. Never came close of breaking but even if for some reason one of the knots comes undone or pulls through the hole you still have the other side to hold it in place and won’t lose the computer. The only problem with this is that it is not adjustable. I fiddled with adjustable knots I found somewhere on youtube but in the end decided this was better since 99% of the time I dive with the same suit for long periods at a time so it’s not like I keep going back and forth undoing them every week.

Attachments

• 63BDEFD6-30BB-44AF-A581-1095777B106D.jpeg
    63BDEFD6-30BB-44AF-A581-1095777B106D.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 451
I keep mine with 2 bungees (5mm iirc) with overhand knots. Never came close of breaking but even if for some reason one of the knots comes undone or pulls through the hole you still have the other side to hold it in place and won’t lose the computer. The only problem with this is that it is not adjustable. I fiddled with adjustable knots I found somewhere on youtube but in the end decided this was better since 99% of the time I dive with the same suit for long periods at a time so it’s not like I keep going back and forth undoing them every week.
I ended up following the same path, and my peregrine looks similar, except with more dangly bungee because I retied one of the knots on a recent trip.

Same on both sides. Mostly for symmetry. Half a double fisherman's knot tied back on the bungee to create an adjustable loop.

1650660883830.png

If you size the bungees it to fit your thickest exposure suit when at their longest, it should be adjustable enough to fit bare skin when shortened.

Thanks so much! I'll be using the Peregrine for the first time in a week and a half in the Maldives. I'll try the strap first, but I'm bringing the cords in case I want to switch. Your picture is exactly what I was trying to envision.

Just curious...how does it not fit in the case? I have the Peregrine also and mine fits great with the strap on. My old computer was also an Oceanic Geo 2.0. What an improvement, right? I love my Peregrine, and with aging eyes, the screen is awesome!

Attachments

• 20220423_213531.jpg
    20220423_213531.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 339
Just curious...how does it not fit in the case? I have the Peregrine also and mine fits great with the strap on. My old computer was also an Oceanic Geo 2.0. What an improvement, right? I love my Peregrine, and with aging eyes, the screen is awesome!
I guess not everyone counts "fitting in the case after I rip all the padding out" as "fitting":wink:

I went to bungee cord on my Peregrine primarily because I hated the strap it comes with. I find watch-style straps very annoying for diving. They are not depth compensating like bungee or elastic straps. Just be sure and use two separate loops for redundancy. That way if one somehow comes undone you have a second holding the computer on your wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom