Attaching reel/smb to backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I usually carry a lift bag for this purpose and it lives in my thigh pocket but a boat I'm going on shortly has a req for a separate actual smb.

So I got one and put a spool on it. I remember seeing lots of people attach them to the ventral side of their backplates but never looked at how they rigged the attachment.

How do you rig that so it stays put but is easy to get in hand for use? Alternately, how are you carrying lift bag and smb when you have both?

Two short loops of bungee onto the bottom of the backplate. DSMB (or liftbag) rolls up and stows in those loops across the bottom. To deploy, reach back, locate the bag and pull it out.

Alternatively, you can get a backplate 'liner' that has a pocket (runs between the plate and the divers' back). Pull the bag down and out of the pocket.

Some divers use butt-pads. These clip to the bottom of the backplate. Can store one or two bags, depending on the design.

I like to keep the spool separate. Either on the rear crotch-strap d-ring or left side hip d-ring. Safety spool can go in my thigh pockets also.

can also stuff it in a thigh pocket or clip it off to your butt d ring on the crotch strap.

I usually carry a lift bag for this purpose and it lives in my thigh pocket but a boat I'm going on shortly has a req for a separate actual smb.

So I got one and put a spool on it. I remember seeing lots of people attach them to the ventral side of their backplates but never looked at how they rigged the attachment.

How do you rig that so it stays put but is easy to get in hand for use? Alternately, how are you carrying lift bag and smb when you have both?

Hey, Tim7! :wavey:

I keep my smb and spool pre-assembled with double dog clip, and clip it through a left edge hole on my DSS plate. I noticed a lot of DNY folks in Bonaire have it clipped on the left hip d-ring.

+1 on pre-assembled. I clip it off on my butt D-ring.

I rigged mine to my BC with bungees (I know, not a BP but it's just as I saw on my friends backplate that gave me the idea) two bungee loops through holes in side of plate , SMB is carried parallel alongside wing.
100 ft spool is clipped to D ring, or carried in pocket

Last edited:
I have a large pocket on my waist strap that holds my smb w /diver flag sewn on, a reel, a lift bag, signal mirror and a whistle.
One stop shopping, open bag, feel item remove and deploy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom