Attaching Pony sling to BCD - how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mat K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Scubapro X One BCD. It's my first BC though it's severely lacking in the D ring department. I've got a pony sling kit to put on the tank that has 2 snaps. On the left pocket of the BC there's a (small) D ring but nothing else. My options (I think) are to use marine rope/split rings to fashion something to snap the lower part of the tank but where? The back plate has empty 'slots' available or there's the loops for the cummerbund and waist belt. Any ideas?

Had to Google the BC. Looking at it there really is no good way to sling a pony bottle on it. I would not trust that little D ring to hold a bottle. That is designed to clip a SPG or maybe a small console to.
Trying to rig something through the slots on the back may compromise the bladder and affect the lift capacity since you'll be restricting it on that side.
Most jacket style BC's are poorly designed for slinging a bottle. The D rings are in the wrong places, are missing, or are too small to be of any real use.

Agree with Jim, there doesn't seem to be a proper way to attach a pony with that BC. It's lacking a solid ring at the waist . I'm afraid you need a pony mount for the main tank. It's another $90-120 for something decent. On the $90 range there's the Highland HL412. The "Quick Draw Easy Mount" is $110-130, depending on bottle size, and the most solid solution that I know.

It's an easy bcd to modify to sling a tank.

Sew a d-ring on the shoulder with a patch of webbing and another on the hem of the jacket (careful to avoid puncturing the bcd by sewing onto the edge of the weight belt holster).

Always clip the tank on in the water to avoid undue strain.

Regards,
Cameron

If divers have a backplate with D-rings it is best to carry a pony as a sling bottle. You have easy and full access to the bottle and you develop the familiarity with it in that position that will be useful if moving into technical diving with a deco/stage bottle.

Rather than pound a round peg into a square hole with the limitations of your harness/BCD system, why not set the pony on the primary cylinder? You'll want to mount it so you can reach the valve. This might mean mounting it inverted. You'll want the back-up regulator to be immediately available.

I'm not convinced that putting things in the "right" place on the "wrong" system is any better than wearing equipment for recreational diving in the places it was intended as long as you can access it and stow it with ease. My first thought would be to mount it right side up with a back-up regulator on a necklace around the neck on a hose that would be minimal and allow you to turn your head from side to side. If you can reach your primary cylinder valve and your pony valve, then this isn't much different than reaching doubles. If inverted, I'd run the reg hose from the lower left hip up and around the neck and have the back-up on a bungee necklace as well (if that would work; never tried it).

Or, you can get a plate/wing and use the right tool for the job of carrying the pony as a sling.

At the risk of being cantankerous, I'm curious.

Perhaps I misread the op intent. Is this not the DIY section and is he not asking for specific modification advice pertinent to his current gear configuration?

I'd love to recommend purchasing a different style of harness as well but I chose to respect his question as I understood it.

I know guys with hundreds of hours on a similar jacket bcd with those mods to sling a pony and it's perfectly suited for their dive style, needs and goals. Myself, I prefer SM, some others prefer a bp/w.

Do what works,
Cameron

My intent was to just offer an opinion where it sounded like no modification was needed. I wasn't saying your advice was wrong. I think the BP/W mentality and "Ponies are for strokes," has so permeated the sport and the boards that I just wanted to offer up that a standard way of connecting the bottle is fine. I used to dive with an inverted pony (but with a bungeed hose). I could reach the reg and the valve and the balance was fine. Switching to the 25lb. light canister to go "DIR" during my first GUE courses felt more off balance since it was like - 6 lbs. negative.

Most people can't sew. If the OP can't rig the bottle comfortably and doesn't want to sew something that may help, I just wanted to say in my experience there is nothing wrong with using a pony mount provided you can reach the valve and the reg. But, I just wanted to add that if he wants the bottle there perhaps changing gear would be a better approach.

Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for humoring my curiosity. If someone had mentioned an inverted pony to me once upon a time I would have welcomed the idea since I wouldn't have thought of that option on my own and probably saved myself a few pricks with a needle. (I don't sew well myself)

Warm regards,
Cameron

Ps. I do the 700 mile pilgrimage to lock 21 a few times a summer myself, welcome to Canada.

Last edited:
A while back I used a hydration harness underneath a jacket bc to sling a 40. It worked, but sucked.
If you are not going to sew, and you still want to diy [cheap like me] mounting to your main is the best route

ETA, what size bailout?
Not my video, but good idea. I mounted a 13 for bit, but wound up slinging it in the end.

Thanks for the advice guys. You've confirmed what I suspected - time for a new BCD I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom