attaching inflator flange to bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm repairing an old Zeagle BCD where the inflator assembly is inserted straight in to the bladder with a flange on the inside of the bladder holding it in. It seals OK topside if inflated with air, but I doubt it will hold when submerged. My other BCD of the same model has the flange attached. Any ideas what to use as an adhesive? I was thinking Aquaseal/cotol but I don't really think it's the best thing. There's probably some sort of solvent glue out there that I'm not htinking about. Mabye a drysuit glue would work?

I'm repairing an old Zeagle BCD where the inflator assembly is inserted straight in to the bladder with a flange on the inside of the bladder holding it in. It seals OK topside if inflated with air, but I doubt it will hold when submerged. My other BCD of the same model has the flange attached. Any ideas what to use as an adhesive? I was thinking Aquaseal/cotol but I don't really think it's the best thing. There's probably some sort of solvent glue out there that I'm not htinking about. Mabye a drysuit glue would work?

The greatest pressure the assembly will see is set by the OPV. This won't change out of the water vs submerged.

Having said that I'd recommend against the type of repair you are contemplating. Urethane does have a finite life.....

Tobin

I had to change the flange of a BCD. I used cyanoacrylate to fix the flange to the balder. AquaSeal is not effective and it will tear off.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try toget a photo tonight so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

I understand it has a finite life and I will look around for possible replacements but we're talking a set of BCD's that I got along with USD Conshelf's, so an off-the-shelf bladder might not be a viable replacement (or cost-effective). It's a nice back-inflate style where it's basically a jacket/wing combo. Thanks again guys.

Will contact them to see what they say. In the meantime, here's the bladder. 20" tile for reference.
uploadfromtaptalk1443136355757.jpg

I've made repairs to bladders with similar issues. The way I would address this one would be to put a patch on the inside of the bladder with a hole just large enough to accept a flange and seal. While the patch will require adhesive, the flange/seal will not. Then you can attach the (semi) standard fittings available at Dive Gear Express and North East Scuba Supply-if not Zeagle.

Here are a few of links with pictures:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-bladder-repair-update.html?highlight=bladder

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2807870-post20.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4749122-post2.html

Back
Top Bottom