Attaching Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyno

Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to diving and wanted to know what some of you use to attach all your gauges and you’re second to your BC or BP. I don’t want anything dangling.

I loop an 1 1/4" (ish) o-ring around the hose of my SPG and the loop end of a snap-on clip and clip it to a D ring on my left hip. Hard to explain words, i'll look for a pic, but its easy to do. My 2nd reg is in a bit of bungy around my neck. Compass, computer/depth guage are all wrist mount.

What he said!

Then take your SPG, and put it on a 24' hose, and clip it off to your side.

I have a console for my SPG, computer and compass, and I clip it to a lower D-ring with a boat clip. I've found that I can see it fine down there, and can easily unclip it when needed (monitring ascent rate or depth, using compass), and it never dangles & is clipped low enough that there is not much hose "dangling" either.

Octo is clipped to another D-ring (much higher & on other side) using an elastic holder.

Your mileage may vary. This just works for me.

Same deal as nickjb.

Buy the hose set (24 inch HP, 22 inch LP, 5 foot LP) if you do this, the default hoses are all the wrong size and end up danlging all over.

Thanks for your comments but had another question.

I have been reading some of the other threads on this board and found that there are a lot of divers that do not use the retractable clips but I don’t think anyone has giving a good reason why they don’t like them. So why not use them?

They can reportedly break quite easily when snagged on something. I personally don't like the durability of them - mine had only a couple of dives on it when the wire that retracts started to rust underneath the plastic coating. Seeing as they've usually got something expensive attached to the end, I retired it and now use SS bolt snaps. Plus even the small ones are still a bit dangly because of the bulk of the retractor body itself.

I did like using it when I had a console - it kept the console nice and neatly tucked against my chest - but I've long since dumped the console in favour of an SPG and wrist mounted instruments, which is SO much less bulk.

Wyno once bubbled...
Thanks for your comments but had another question.

I have been reading some of the other threads on this board and found that there are a lot of divers that do not use the retractable clips but I don’t think anyone has giving a good reason why they don’t like them. So why not use them?

Retractors are often just a failure point waiting to happen. Debris can get in there and then it won't retract like it is supposed to. I've also seen them rust, etc.

Back
Top Bottom