Attaching dive knife to BCD?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe he mean octopus - he uses an inflator with second stage capability.

My knife came with a hose mount. I thought it would be difficult to remove and re-sheath the knife. Am I wrong? Another reason is that my spare air is mounted as part of my inflator hose.

This method was suggested to me by my dive instructor. I did give it serious consideration and might give this a try. I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine and it is a lot easier to set up than having it inside a BCD pocket like I did it. The only thing I could see that might be an issue is if the dive knife is big, but I think it would work just fine {and I may end up switching mine to this configuration}. One thing about it is that the sheath is not tethered on a line to possibly get tangled, but then again if mine does it's not like I am not already holding a dive knife to cut it if needed.

“Spare Air”?

I called mine that the other day by mistake too...I am pretty sure he is referring to his BCD mounted "Safe Second".

Last edited:
nevermind... :bounce:

[/spareair lecture]

A grommet IN the pocket usually is there are a drain, so the water drains out after you rinse the BC and hang it to dry. If you've got some that match up to a knife sheath...more power to you.

I have long kept my knife attached to my old jacket-style BC by simply putting the sheath's straps around the front of the BC. Whatever you call the part that new BC's just don't have, where it goes up from the waist to the shoulder, in front of the arm?

And, I carry the knife point up, handle down. If I've got to use an awkward arm movement to get at the knife, I know it will drop right out into my hand. (Yes, there's a wrist loop and a security clip to prevent accidents.)

BCs appear to be made of unatanium these days. I can't find any adhesive that will actually bond to the fabric, and that includes some special contact cements, urethanes, and epoxies. The only ones that claim they can do the job, are like $100+ per tube. Baffling.

A grommet IN the pocket usually is there are a drain, so the water drains out after you rinse the BC and hang it to dry. If you've got some that match up to a knife sheath...more power to you.

Nope, wrong sir..thanks for the reply and other info. The grommets in both of my BCD's are "IN" the pockets, but they are at the top of the pocket {not a very good place to have a drain, wouldn't you agree???} and the manufacturers both specifically state that they are for mounting dive knives and "accessories". One vest actually has three grommets in a row. Scuba Pro even makes a mounting thing and many of their knives come with the special screws to attach them to that exact spacing. Some were even posted to this thread.

Today I called Atomic to inquire about this issue. The answer I got makes sense...apparently the dive knife was designed and released some time ago, well before Atomic ever came out with the BC1. At that time the knife was made, as it is now, to mount just on your calf with quick cinch rubber straps, presumably because there was no Atomic bcd to worry about.
Fast forward to the advent of the BC1, which was designed with the provision {grommets} to allow a BCD mounted dive knife and we arrive at the present dilemma.....the only bcd they make unable to couple up with the only dive knife they make. I was assured that this will be remedied in the not too distant future as it seems Atomic is working on the design of a new dive knife. I don't have a complaint about the old dive knife, by and of itself as a knife...it would be nice if they offer a sheath that is compatible with the bcd.

Back
Top Bottom