Attaching Argon Bottle & HID Light to Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I want to try to attach a 6 cuft argon bottle inside the wing on one side of my ranger, and a cylinder light (the big, 5" diameter, exposure 14 halcyon one) on the other. My plan is to get four removable d-rings and add them to the loops where the bladder attaches, then hook the light and argon bottle on there.

I'm a bit concerned about preventing the bladder wings from properly and evenly inflating, and otherwise throwing off my balance (and therefore bouyance) in the water.

What do more experienced people think? Have people found a better way to do this?

By all means, do whatever you wish. In terms of thermal efficiency, however, argon is unlikely to buy you much in the way of thermal benefit unless you are breathing helium in your mix.

(There are also those who insist that even if you ARE breathing trimix, adding argon to your drysuit cannot be clinically proven to be thermally beneficial...just to be fair.)

I use argon, and perceive it to be beneficial when I'm breathing helium - but unless you're willing to put up with the PITA factor you may be better served by simply using backmix in your drysuit - again unless you're breathing trimix. (My assumption is that you're not using trimix with your Ranger, but I've been mistaken a few times before...)

For both the 6 cuft bottle and the light cannister, it sounds as if your 'attachment solution' may allow these items to flop around loosely on your BC. You may want to rethink your plans if this is the case. I'm having difficulty conceptualizing how these items are going to fit on your Ranger in a manner so that their stowage is more beneficial than convoluted. Do you have any photos of what you're planning on doing?

Oh, I agree with you about the argon. But it also looks really cool, and I do plan on getting into trimix.

As for photos of what I'm planning to do: No, I don't. It flopping around is one of the things I'm worried about. I was hoping others had tried to accomplish similar goals and I could learn from their experience.

To try to explain better: If you look at the attachment point for the bladder on a ranger, you'll see there's a piece of metal attached to a loop on the bladder, and a piece of plastic attached to a loop on the flexible backing. What I intend to do is put removable d-rings through the loops on the flexible backing, so they stick in front of the wing. Then, to put the bolts on this Technical SCUBA Diving Equipment for Advanced, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc. - Catalog - Argon Bottle Mount through the d-rings.

Thoughts? How do other people attach their argon bottles?

You might consider as a solution,,,,mounting that dry suit gas cylinder to your back gas cylinder,,,,very common practice.

As to the Big Bertha canister light....you might think towards rigging and 'slinging' it as one would a pony bottle...clipped off at the lower right side d-ring and one of your 2 right side shoulder strap d-rings. The use of a wt. belt for carrying it will probably not work so well considering the cut of the bcd....besides larger canister lights tend to rotate down forward as you hoz. swim. Though your model is not near as BIG as my ole' DR Wreck Canister 50 watt light.

Zeagle also makes add-op weight pockets that attach to the side of the tank straps. I bought these to add a little weight next to my tank, but the pockets also work great for mounting and protecting the battery cannister of the HID light. The light cord then snakes up and along the shoulder strap.

Back
Top Bottom