Atomic Z2x First Stage - To swivel or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftdive

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally going to retire my Conshelf 20 which has served me well over the years. I've decided to buy an Atomic Z2x for myself and the blue one passed the color test with my wife so I'm buying one for her too.

I really like the second stage swivel on the Z2x but I'm wondering if the first stage swivel is worth the extra $. I suspect the swiveling first stage is a nice to have rather than a must have.

Has anyone who has a Z2x with the non swiveling first stage had a problem routing hoses? If you were buying another Z2x would you get the swivel first stage instead of the fixed one?

I really like the swivel on mine, but I have not tried this particular reg without it. I guess I got the swivel because when I dive I like to look around and see the critters, I get less jaw fatigue with a swivel than with a reg that does not have one. The extra $$ won't amount to much over your next 20 years of diving.

OH YEA, You want the rotating turret on the 1st Stage and the swivel on the 2nd Stage....
You'll be very happy you did.

I HATED the swivel on my Z2 and got rid of it. It rotated fine with no pressure but not so much under pressure. I changed out to MIFLEX , a much better solution IMO. After the switch I gained two things, the loss of the weight of the swivel hose and the great flexibility of the MIFLEX. The are lighter and much easier to pack. Rotating turrent great idea just match it with a MIFLEX and be estatic. You'll thank me later. :)

I got a Z2X for my fiancee and a Z2 for myself. I dive a backplate with a 7 foot hose. The routing of the hose makes a big difference if you do not have a swivel. Very free and comfortable. However my fiancee dives a transpac with "standard" hose routing. She likes the swivel better than without.

Pete

I was using this reg in class with no swivel and it felt like it was trying to pull out of the one side of my mouth. Is this the reason for the swivel and the miflex hose?

I was using this reg in class with no swivel and it felt like it was trying to pull out of the one side of my mouth. Is this the reason for the swivel and the miflex hose?

...other 'fixes' involve choosing the correct (correct for YOU that is) hose length as well as selecting a decent mouthpiece...getting those 2 items 'fixed' will go a long way to curing those issues.

...other 'fixes' involve choosing the correct (correct for YOU that is) hose length as well as selecting a decent mouthpiece...getting those 2 items 'fixed' will go a long way to curing those issues.

The hose length and mouthpiece were fine, thanks for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom