Atomic M1 - discontinued?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

So I was about to pull the trigger on an Atomic M1, and saw it disappearing off websites. Sent through a query to a local retailer and they advised that it has been discontinued (or longer being imported by the local Atomic distributor).....anybody know anyhing about this? Seems to be an odd move what what I thought was a pretty popular product, and I would have thought it still occupies a distinct place in the line-up...

Still on the US website...
Screenshot_20201130-232731_Chrome.jpg
I'm sorry to hear this!

I purchased a M1 yesterday. Hope it hasn't been discontinued. Still a lot of Australian scuba websites offering the M!

Argh, I hope they keep this reg in the line-up (or a successor model). I know I recommended the Z2 on the other thread (when budget is a concern), but: the M1 is a great reg for tech diving, that can do any hose routing, and can be used with any gas, and in cold or dirty water (default delivery is sealed). If you read about Monel (the metal alloy they use in the reg), it is impressive to what lenghts they went.

By the way, in the US the M1 is rated to 80% O2, but I think that is to keep insurance costs down for the manufacturer. In Europe there is no intermediate certification for nitrox (either 21% or 100%), and the M1 is rated to 100%, as per Atomics' manual in Germany (see attachment). The only 1st stage I'd trust more with 100% O2 than an M1 may be an unbalanced piston like a Scubapro Mk2plus.

I also like the front cover and wider exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 82
Well, contacting Atomic, they've said it's not discontinued, so I guess now I need to get to the bottom of why Australia just won't be importing it anymore....

Where'd you get yours from? Sadly all the cheapest places sold out, i know a couple still have them.
Purchased from Europe. AUD980. M1 with Z2 Octopus. Courier delivery. From a company I've used before without any issues. The price differential was too great for me to consider a Australian purchase in this case.

Purchased from Europe. AUD980. M1 with Z2 Octopus. Courier delivery. From a company I've used before without any issues. The price differential was too great for me to consider a Australian purchase in this case.
Not concerned about warranty issues?
Mind sending me a DM with the company name, I can have a look.....

The only 1st stage I'd trust more with 100% O2 than an M1 may be an unbalanced piston like a Scubapro Mk2plus.

The B2 & M1 first stage differ only in the piston and the swivel cap retainer, which are both made of Monel with the M1. Does using Monel for these two components make the M1 first stage vastly superior with 100% oxygen use? Does a piston made with Monel drastically increase the probability of a fire?

That is still $159 AU better then I can acquire it, and that's before postage.
Good buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom