Atomic Cobalt 2 Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've owned a first-generation Atomic Cobalt for a little over two years. I've already replaced the button magnets once due to corrosion, and this weekend it failed me again for the same reason. Great computer, poor design in this regard. Otherwise, except for one return for service due to another issue with the stem interface to the hose, it's been completely reliable and I love it.

I'm considering selling it and buying the Cobalt 2. But, I've read a handful of reviews about reliability issues. Other than the issues mentioned above, my current Cobalt seems to be solid across the 130 dives on it.

If you own a Cobalt 2, I would appreciate your comments in regards to your experience with reliability. Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin,

I’m sure others will chime in but as a designer I can provide some perspective.

The ongoing issue with the Cobalt 1 rusting buttons should not be present with the Cobalt 2 (and can be fixed in Cobalt 1’s- you can ask to be sent the new magnets if you have a problem). Atomic figured out a way to fully encapsulate the magnets in an injection molding process without losing magnetism. A manual sealing process is no longer being used.

The early production of the Cobalt 2 encountered a serious issue with depth sensors that failed after a short period of use. These sensors started to read higher than actual pressures, sometimes getting stuck in a dive. This is the same sensor that is in the Cobalt 1 (as well as Shearwater and many other dive computers). The fact that a bad lot of sensors came through with the Cobalt 2’s first production is coincidental and not related to the design at all. But it took almost two months for us to figure out the source of the failure: it was a protective cap that the sensor manufacturer supplied which was contaminating the protective gel during assembly if it was left on. So right after the Cobalt 2 was introduced Atomic halted production until we could positively identify the issue and had a confirmed solution. That is very likely the source of comments about reliability issues in the Cobalt 2. There definitely were issues, but they were identified and have been dealt with. Apart from that, the Cobalt 2 has been better in every respect, including reliability.

The Cobalt 2 is a big improvement. The compass, in particular, is night and day better, but there are many “under the hood” improvements.

There is also a new O-ring kit for the QD fitting (for both Cobalt 1 and 2) that will hold up better. That’s what will go in with regular servicing now.

Ron

And yet, there have been plenty of reports with failed buttons on the 2 - one need only check the giant Cobalt thread to find them.

It's an excellent computer, and even though AA's service and support has suffered since the Huish buyout they are still very helpful...but they still can't seem to get concept execution down pat when it comes to their computer. Still, if you want a hosed computer, I don't think you'll find a better one on the market; just realize you may have to deal with minor issues and have AA's direct number on speed dial.

Thanks for all the info. Is it possible to pickup another set of magnets from Atomic directly, and does the computer need to be under warranty? - I live near Costa Mesa and I need to fix my Cobalt before Friday when I'm out on a boat again. Already have the top popped off and the magnets out.

Glad to hear about the new Cobalt processing. The compass is a great tool particularly at night, but the lag made it tough.

Kevin,

I’m sure others will chime in but as a designer I can provide some perspective.

The ongoing issue with the Cobalt 1 rusting buttons should not be present with the Cobalt 2 (and can be fixed in Cobalt 1’s- you can ask to be sent the new magnets if you have a problem). Atomic figured out a way to fully encapsulate the magnets in an injection molding process without losing magnetism. A manual sealing process is no longer being used.

The early production of the Cobalt 2 encountered a serious issue with depth sensors that failed after a short period of use. These sensors started to read higher than actual pressures, sometimes getting stuck in a dive. This is the same sensor that is in the Cobalt 1 (as well as Shearwater and many other dive computers). The fact that a bad lot of sensors came through with the Cobalt 2’s first production is coincidental and not related to the design at all. But it took almost two months for us to figure out the source of the failure: it was a protective cap that the sensor manufacturer supplied which was contaminating the protective gel during assembly if it was left on. So right after the Cobalt 2 was introduced Atomic halted production until we could positively identify the issue and had a confirmed solution. That is very likely the source of comments about reliability issues in the Cobalt 2. There definitely were issues, but they were identified and have been dealt with. Apart from that, the Cobalt 2 has been better in every respect, including reliability.

The Cobalt 2 is a big improvement. The compass, in particular, is night and day better, but there are many “under the hood” improvements.

There is also a new O-ring kit for the QD fitting (for both Cobalt 1 and 2) that will hold up better. That’s what will go in with regular servicing now.

Ron

Thanks for all the info. Is it possible to pickup another set of magnets from Atomic directly, and does the computer need to be under warranty? - I live near Costa Mesa and I need to fix my Cobalt before Friday when I'm out on a boat again. Already have the top popped off and the magnets out.

Glad to hear about the new Cobalt processing. The compass is a great tool particularly at night, but the lag made it tough.

I would just contact Adan adan.campos@huishoutdoors.com or Bob bob.osgood@huishoutdoors.com in Cobalt repairs directly, and I'm sure they can help. The serial # will help them know which magnets you use. They were trying, at DEMA, to make sure all their dealers were aware of and had these magnet kits.

Yes, the Cobalt 2 compass is far faster, more accurate, and easy to calibrate. The chips have improved greatly since the Cobalt 1.

Ron

Hello, I bought a new Cobalt 2 at the end of January. The compass failed on the 2nd dive. Ron has helped me out with the problem, and at my own cost I sent the Cobalt 2 back to Salt Lake City for replacement. Now it is March 11. I received the new Cobalt 2 today in the mail. The compass looked great, the temperature was correct and I thought all problems solved. It took awhile and I paid 24.00 to have the problem solved. I carefully put the scratch protector on it and all was well. I wanted to see if the pressure showed correctly so I thought I would hook it up to the tank. I push in the quick disconnect and turned 90 deg. No problem. As I gently turned the plastic piece to secure the computer, the high pressure connector pulled right out of the computer. I did not apply force. And i know how to use it because I made several dives on the first unit with the broken compass chip. I couldn't believe it. I called Adan again, and told him what happened. So now they are going to get another new computer to my LDS by friday because I have an important cert dive this weekend. I know things happen, and Ron has been great helping troubleshoot and solve my compass problem. But to have another new unit just fall apart is suspect. I really like the Cobalt 2. It has a lovely display, it is simple to use, the menu system is logical and easy to set up. But I believe Atomic is not performing adequate Quality Assurance tests. When I bought the Cobalt 2, I also purchased an Atomic ST 1 regulator. The swivel leaked when I would swivel in a particular way. I took it back to my LDS and they replaced the low pressure hose with swivel and all was well. I love the regulator. But it being brand new, why wasn't it checked at the factory. The mouthpiece was at a 45 degree angle. It was an easy turn with my hand, but the aesthetics of opening a 1000,00 device and having the mouthpiece askew made me think a little. Didn't the tech building the unit notice such a basic thing as that. The problems were solved easily, but why did I buy a 1000.00 unit and have it leak the first time I used it, along with having the compass fail on the Cobalt. I ordered the Zeagle Ranger LTD which was suppose to come with the yellow weight bags as part of the purchase price and they were missing. I'm trying to have Zeagle send them to me. Was this a deal breaker? No, of course not. But it is a pattern of incompetence. I would like this to somehow get passed on to Huish Outdoor who owns all of these companies to tell them they could tighten down on quality control. These products are made in the USA and I take pride with that. And I don't mind paying top dollar for quality equipment made in this country. But top dollar products should work. Technical products fail, and i understand that. But not working out of the box is not satisfactory. Hopefully the next Cobalt 2 i receive will be flawless, at least for a few hundred or so dives. If this next Cobalt I receive fails, I will be sure to return it for good and caution others about this product. I do appreciate Ron's and Adan's help and hopefully all will be well now. If someone is going to purchase a Cobalt 2, I would throughly as possible, check it out before you bring it home.
I would be in trouble if I didn't first test it at home and have the high pressure peace blow out in the ocean flooding out the computer and ending my dives for the day and my cert. It's too bad that such quality designed products and being degraded by the manufacturing process

Paul

Paul,
You are correct, this is unacceptable. It sounds as if your replacement had the retaining clip not installed properly, and this should definitely be checked before leaving the factory.

The sticking compass issue is not something that Atomic has control over, as it was an internal failure in the MEMS chip. Fortunately those failures have been very rare, the chip manufacturer puts them at a tiny fraction of a percent, less than 1 in 10,000. Unfortunately as you saw the problem can be intermittent and can get past testing in assembly.

About all I can say is that I'm sure Atomic will do whatever is possible to get you a replacement in time. And I hope your experience with your replacement Cobalt 2 is more typical.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom