Atomic B2 whistling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My B2 makes a high pitch whistling sound while inhaling. The sound is coming from the second stage and it doesn't happen for the entire dive. I've read that piston regs can make that sound if there is either too much/too little lube as well as a problem within an o-ring in the first stage. If that was the case, would the sound still be coming from the 2nd stage? As I wrote that it just occurred to me that I should try my octo (also a B2) to rule out a problem with the first stage.

Is there anything that would cause the sound from the 2nd stage?

It can be hard underwater to locate exactly where a sound is coming from. IMO and IME I'm going to guess It's most likely the first stage, and the piston stem o ring needs lubing/replacing and or the spring flipped. I've had this issue with several piston regs, the whistling was high enough to shatter glass.

Having said that I did have a 156 second stage that whistled slightly at the tail end of inhalation although nowhere near as loud or as high pitched as my first stages. I decided it was tuned too light and the seat was a not sealing quick enough, I adjusted the orifice a tad and it fixed the problem.

Question, is this a new one from the factory? Because my ST1 did the same thing till I had like five dives on it. Then it quit.

It can be hard underwater to locate exactly where a sound is coming from. IMO and IME I'm going to guess It's most likely the first stage, and the piston stem o ring needs lubing/replacing and or the spring flipped. I've had this issue with several piston regs, the whistling was high enough to shatter glass.

Having said that I did have a 156 second stage that whistled slightly at the tail end of inhalation although nowhere near as loud or as high pitched as my first stages. I decided it was tuned too light and the seat was a not sealing quick enough, I adjusted the orifice a tad and it fixed the problem.

Thanks, I was hoping it was just something with the 2nd stage as it would be cheaper to be serviced. Is this something that would be service affecting?

Question, is this a new one from the factory? Because my ST1 did the same thing till I had like five dives on it. Then it quit.

I bought it used, but it was only used twice in a pool. I already have 12 or dives on it.

Probably a dry o-ring in the 1st stage.

If it is really coming from the 2nd stage, something might be loose and vibrating when you inhale. Not sure what though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom