Atomic B2 octo options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louis

Registered
Reaction score
I called a LDS inquiring about purchasing an Atomic B2 and was told I had to get an Atomic octo to go with it, rather than a cheaper option, eg an Oceanic Slimline or some other octo. Does that sound right?

NO! The guy is trying to rip you off. It does not matter what you hang off the B2 first stage. I own a B2 and hang a Sherwood Octo off of it.

Let me guess, he thinks you should buy a Z1 for $400 as your octo. Either that or he is trying to get you to look at the SS1.

My suggestion, if possible - SHOP somewhere else. Problem is if you have your heart set on a B2, there may not be another Atomic dealer close by and Atomic restricts Internet sales. Here is what I would do. Grab Atomics phone number from their web site and take your cell phone in the LDS with you. Ask him again if it is required and when he says yes, whip out your phone and call Atomic. Ask for the service department and ask THEM if it is required. When they tell you no, hand the phone over to the LDS guy and let HIM talk to them. I would also make sure I mention to Atomic the NAME and LOCATION of the dive shop trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I would do it after 9am PST time. They are in Hunnington Beach, CA.

Post back and let us know how it goes.

Michael

P.S. This is the kind of crap that is killing LDS! Not online sales!!!!!

Louis,

Talon is correct. There is no requirement that the primary and alternate second stage regulators have to be of common manufacture.

I, too, think that the LDS is simply trying to "up sell" you.

Don't get me wrong, it just so happens that I dive an Atomic "Z1" as my alternate air source, but it's not because it's a requirement of any sort.

the K

I just ordered an Atomic B2 with an Oceanic Slimline -- thank you for your help

You are quite welcome.
And . . . by the way - WELCOME TO THE SCUBABOARD !!!!!!!

the K

Loving this Board. I've been narrowing down my reg choices and really want the B2 but noticed how expensive the Octo was and was a bit deterred. Nice to know that I have options. I'm curious to see what the LDS/Atomic dealer will say when I ask him about the octo. Timely post! Thanks!!

Well, his eyelids will flutter, his eyeballs will roll back up into his head, he will gasp a couple of times, turn pale, vomit once or twice and then tell you that you gonna DIE!!!

Just kidding . . . of course, but I would love to hear the response.

the K

I've had a B1/T2 reg for years and I've never used an Atomic Octo on it. Right now I have an old Dacor second stage and it works just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom