Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's called the "comfobite" and it's amazing. There is an Apeks and an Aqualung version and they are slightly different and unfortunately it is very much personal preference. Unfortunately the Apeks one is the one that I prefer and is more expensive...

Amazon.com : Apeks Anti-Bacterial Mouthpiece : Sports & Outdoors
Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece, Black

Yes, indeed. I prefer the AL over the Apeks. My mouth is small and perhaps it makes the difference. I found the Apeks uncomfortable. The difference is small for sure, but it's enough.

Yes, indeed. I prefer the AL over the Apeks. My mouth is small and perhaps it makes the difference. I found the Apeks uncomfortable. The difference is small for sure, but it's enough.

Just to be clear...are you saying that the difference between AL and Apeks is slight {small, as in size of the difference, as in not very much difference} or that the AL mouthpiece is actually physically smaller in size than the Apeks??? Thanks, I have the Apeks and I already like it. Going to try it out this coming Tuesday on a dive. If not the actual size then why is the AL one better in your opinion??? Thanks again

Yes, the difference is not a big difference, but noticeable to me.

The bridge is not the same, to be honest I can't remember which was which biut one is narrower and higher. I find the AL one to fit my mouth/teeth better.

The size of the mouth piece is the same I believe, just the dimensions and height of the bridge is different. Hope that makes some sense.

In that case my I suggest Deep6 regs. They are inexpensive, but high quality, breathe excellent, and come with several value-added features like a carrying case, free first service, and a free set of spare parts to keep in your save-a-dive kit so even if something happens while you are on vacation somewhere, any competent service technician will be able to fix your regulator. There is also nothing proprietary, so you're not stuck shelling out even more money just to be able to replace a hose. The owner is a frequent poster here, and more than willing to engage with customers directly. Their customer service is also fantastic, rivaling even Shearwater.

I like them enough that I'm slowly replacing my various regs with Deep6.

I also suggest to anyone that asks me to have a look at Deep6 regs.

But, the part I bolded is, I think, not as simple as that. The issue is finding a competent service tech who is WILLING to fix your regulator. Or, to make it more clear, finding a competent service tech who is willing to work on any regulator that s/he is not actually trained and certified to work on. I don't think my shop would allow any shop staff to work on a reg they don't have formal training on, just because of the lack of liability insurance coverage.

I just got certified to work on ScubaPro regs. I would have no problem servicing my own Deep6 regs (though I have no formal training on Deep6). No way I would work on a shop customer's reg of any type (other than ScubaPro).

Personally I think the Z2 is a fine regulator...you'd be way better off with it than many other brands that cost much more. As to the T3...lightweight on a trip is one reason. They also breath easier, only need serviced once every 3 years, they are sealed and are the best regulator made...I wouldn't buy it for one reason, but when you start adding them up.....

Are you saying that a T3 breathes easier than a Z2? That seems to be at odds with what everyone else in this thread has said (which is that all the Atomic regs breathe the same).

Are you saying that a T3 breathes easier than a Z2? That seems to be at odds with what everyone else in this thread has said (which is that all the Atomic regs breathe the same).

Yes sir. I will say one other thing...I wonder exactly how many people that have posted "they breath the same" actually own a T3 {or have ever even dove one for that matter}??? It is a fact that I own two of them. Now, all that said, I am not saying that there is a world of difference and I would also say that it could be that those folks are unable to tell the difference. If you dive any given regulator today and then go a week later with a different one I would find it very hard to believe anyone can tell a difference, but on back to back dives same day, yes.
You're not too far away...if you ever get to Phoenix this spring/summer you are welcome to dive my T3 and try it out for yourself.

Not sure I can see why they would be different, not saying there is no difference, just wondering how. It is my understanding they are all the same design, use the same service kits and cases are the same size (?). The only (?) difference I understood was in materials used, I guess different materials could have different flow characteristics...but not sure that would be noticeable to a human. Happy to be corrected/educated. Cheers.

Yes sir. I will say one other thing...I wonder exactly how many people that have posted "they breath the same" actually own a T3 {or have ever even dove one for that matter}??? It is a fact that I own two of them.

With all due respect, I own and dive two as well, along with brass models. And I'm certified by Atomic to service them. The second stages have the same poppet, same seat, same orifice, and the same case; the only difference being a zirconium plated barrel vs a Titanium one.
What you are describing is that your T3 is tuned lighter than the Z you compared with. Understandable, but not due to the model.

SB can be a rough forum, lol. Don't be surprised if you catch a little flak for that post.

Atomic first stages use the same parts, except the M1 which has a Monel piston and swivel retainer, monel is a nickel-copper alloy and is less reactive to O2. I have Z2’s and an ST1 and had the M1. In use I can’t tell a difference and since they all have the same dimensions I don’t see how they could feel different from one to the next but maybe they tune the Ti model better? I also remove the bulky comfort swivel, not that it isn’t a good design or doesn’t perform well I just don’t care for them compared to a shorter flex hose.

Hi guys, OP here. I’ve went with a B2 mainly because I got it at a great price, and it’s what I’m familiar with (Note: I’m not indicating that they would breathe different)

Thanks again for all of the great info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom