Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey I just picked up 2 used atomic aquatics b2 regulators and one seems to work perfectly. The second however the regulator first stage knob is stuck with the dust cap still in place, it seems like it could be due to salt corrosion. Is it ok to soak the first stage in water with the dust cap still (very firmly) attached to the reg, or should I just try to muscle it off as best I can?

As said soak it in warm water with a bit of vinegar.

No luck so far I'm going to try soaking it again this afternoon with a bit more vinegar as I went very light with it

You may want to just concentrate on the threaded area, soak just the knob/shaft and top of yoke in hot 50/50 vinager and water, you won’t even need to get the dust cap wet. Atomic tend to bottom out before they put much squish on the dust cap so make sure the plastic knob isn’t just bound up on the top of the yoke.

Yeah I think its definitely the knob because it's the only spot showing any signs of corrosion and currently have it soaking in warm water and vinegar with basically just to the dust cap under water. Hoping it loosens it up enough and am gonna leave it for a couple of hours, will report back if it works or doesn't

Took around a day of soaking and a solid twist with a clamp but it's good now, just checked it and it's breathing fine above water. Doesn't look like there's any corrosion in the first stage so we'll see.

Couple thoughts on this.

I'm a ST1/M1 owner. The mouthpieces that come with both of those regs give me jaw fatigue. I swapped the mouthpiece for an Apeks mouthpiece and that helped alot. The mouthpiece is way smaller and i can easilly handle it with what feels like just my two front teeth. It's perfect and regardless of what reg I'm using.... it will have that mouthpiece.

If you're going to go Atomic, my suggestion is to get the M1. It will give you the most flexibility and still deliver the same quality/breathability as the other regs. Some items to consider:

• M1 has a larger exhaust deflector over the rest of the atomic regs -- I seemed to notice a difference
  • M1 uses standard hoses -- No special nut to retrofit the second stage to use a standard hose (in case you wanted to go Miflex or a 7 ft hose)
  • IF you still want the Atomic comfort swivel, you can get one. Atomic makes a comfort swivel to fit a standard second stage. I bought one and enjoy it. But yes, you will pay through the nose (I think it was like $150 or $200).
  • If you later want to enter tech diving, this is Atomic reg to have. The components allow it to use greater than 40% EAN mixes.
For service, keep in mind you can send off for factory service as well. It was a bit more than my local shops but they came back like brand new regs vs how they look when they come back form my LDS. The ST1 was $140 to service and the SS1 was $125.

.......I swapped the mouthpiece for an Apeks mouthpiece and that helped alot. The mouthpiece is way smaller and i can easilly handle it with what feels like just my two front teeth. It's perfect and regardless of what reg I'm using.... it will have that mouthpiece........

I am very interested in this mouthpiece you are referring to...but, Apeks appears to make many different mouthpieces. Could you please identify exactly which one this "way smaller" mouthpiece you are using is???? Thanks for any info!!!!

I am very interested in this mouthpiece you are referring to...but, Apeks appears to make many different mouthpieces. Could you please identify exactly which one this "way smaller" mouthpiece you are using is???? Thanks for any info!!!!

it's called the "comfobite" and it's amazing. There is an Apeks and an Aqualung version and they are slightly different and unfortunately it is very much personal preference. Unfortunately the Apeks one is the one that I prefer and is more expensive...

Amazon.com : Apeks Anti-Bacterial Mouthpiece : Sports & Outdoors
Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece, Black

it's called the "comfobite" and it's amazing. There is an Apeks and an Aqualung version and they are slightly different and unfortunately it is very much personal preference. Unfortunately the Apeks one is the one that I prefer and is more expensive...

Amazon.com : Apeks Anti-Bacterial Mouthpiece : Sports & Outdoors
Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Mouthpiece, Black

Thank you for this info sir, it is greatly appreciated. Now that I know which one I will order two today!!! I have a T3 reg and I find that the mouthpiece, while okay, becomes a little fatiguing sometimes. I don't really know why I can dive with it and not have it bother me at all on some dives,but then the next I almost immediately get a cramp in my jaw. Other divers have said to get a smaller mouthpiece, but never said which one was actually smaller. One person even told me that there were different sizes available from Atomic, but that proved to be not true. My son, who is 11 also dives with a T3 and I know his mouthpiece could stand to be smaller as well. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom