Atomic B2 / M1 or ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could always just sell the atomic swivel and use the money to buy a jam nut, hose, and swivel.

Sorry for the delay in posting.
I'm set on atomic for me, but my 9yr old son is expressing interest in taking some jr classes so I might be looking into options for him..

In that case my I suggest Deep6 regs. They are inexpensive, but high quality, breathe excellent, and come with several value-added features like a carrying case, free first service, and a free set of spare parts to keep in your save-a-dive kit so even if something happens while you are on vacation somewhere, any competent service technician will be able to fix your regulator. There is also nothing proprietary, so you're not stuck shelling out even more money just to be able to replace a hose. The owner is a frequent poster here, and more than willing to engage with customers directly. Their customer service is also fantastic, rivaling even Shearwater.

I like them enough that I'm slowly replacing my various regs with Deep6.

msinc
I also dive the Atomic T3 and T2. They are excellent regs and since both the first stage and second stage are made of titanium they are very light to travel with. Especially since I keep my regs in my carry-on bag I appreciate the light weight.You are correct that the light weight of the second stage plus the swivel also helps with jaw fatigue.
For divers who want to spend a little less, I would recommend the Atomic B2. the 2nd stage is also titanium and has a swivel just like the the T3. However the first stage is made of brass vs titanium which cuts the cost significantly for those on a budget. That is the only significant difference between the two regs.
For those not familiar with Atomic regulators, The T3 is the top of the line regulator with mostly titanium 1st and 2nd stages. The B2 is the next level down as I described above with a brass 1st stage and titanium 2nd stage.
The next tier down is the Z3 and Z2. The Z series also has the brass 1st stage in common with the B2, however the second stages incorporate Zirconium which is slightly less corrosion resistant than titanium but much less expensive. The Z series still incorporate a titanium spring and lever. The Z3 has a swivel on the second stage, the Z2 does not which makes it a great entry level reg for divers looking for Atomic performance but with a slightly lower price and can live without the swivel.
I excluded the M1 which is more of a cold weather or tech reg (no swivel, and a heat sink) and the stainless steel version the ST1. All Atomic regs share the same basic internal components, the only difference is the varying materials, the amount of titanium, and/or the swivel which all adds to the price accordingly. However, that said the least expensive Z2 will breath and perform at any depth and under any conditions identical to the top of the line Z3.
As always check the Atomic website at www.atomicaquatics.com for the most up to date and more detailed information on their products.
Larry
www.KeyLargoDiveCenter.com

msinc
I also dive the Atomic T3 and T2. They are excellent regs and since both the first stage and second stage are made of titanium they are very light to travel with. Especially since I keep my regs in my carry-on bag I appreciate the light weight.You are correct that the light weight of the second stage plus the swivel also helps with jaw fatigue.
For divers who want to spend a little less, I would recommend the Atomic B2. the 2nd stage is also titanium and has a swivel just like the the T3. However the first stage is made of brass vs titanium which cuts the cost significantly for those on a budget. That is the only significant difference between the two regs.
For those not familiar with Atomic regulators, The T3 is the top of the line regulator with mostly titanium 1st and 2nd stages. The B2 is the next level down as I described above with a brass 1st stage and titanium 2nd stage.
The next tier down is the Z3 and Z2. The Z series also has the brass 1st stage in common with the B2, however the second stages incorporate Zirconium which is slightly less corrosion resistant than titanium but much less expensive. The Z series still incorporate a titanium spring and lever. The Z3 has a swivel on the second stage, the Z2 does not which makes it a great entry level reg for divers looking for Atomic performance but with a slightly lower price and can live without the swivel.
I excluded the M1 which is more of a cold weather or tech reg (no swivel, and a heat sink) and the stainless steel version the ST1. All Atomic regs share the same basic internal components, the only difference is the varying materials, the amount of titanium, and/or the swivel which all adds to the price accordingly. However, that said the least expensive Z2 will breath and perform at any depth and under any conditions identical to the top of the line Z3.
As always check the Atomic website at www.atomicaquatics.com for the most up to date and more detailed information on their products.
Larry
www.KeyLargoDiveCenter.com
Why do you refer to the Z2 as an entry level reg? It breathes exactly the same as the other ones. I do like Atomic and have one but the argument to spend the additional dough to get they Titanium version because it’s easier to carry in your backpack on the plane? Really?

Why do you refer to the Z2 as an entry level reg? It breathes exactly the same as the other ones. I do like Atomic and have one but the argument to spend the additional dough to get they Titanium version because it’s easier to carry in your backpack on the plane? Really?

Personally I think the Z2 is a fine regulator...you'd be way better off with it than many other brands that cost much more. As to the T3...lightweight on a trip is one reason. They also breath easier, only need serviced once every 3 years, they are sealed and are the best regulator made...I wouldn't buy it for one reason, but when you start adding them up.....

Personally I think the Z2 is a fine regulator...you'd be way better off with it than many other brands that cost much more. As to the T3...lightweight on a trip is one reason. They also breath easier, only need serviced once every 3 years, they are sealed and are the best regulator made...I wouldn't buy it for one reason, but when you start adding them up.....

you base them being the best regulator made and the Z2 being "way better off" than more expensive regulators on what grounds?
Per Atomic, the spec says they all breathe the same because they're all the same design. It does have 3 years, but it's still the same dive interval. The sealing also costs horrific amounts of money when you look at it because the lube is not cheap. Makes it at least $25 more at service than unsealed regs.

you base them being the best regulator made and the Z2 being "way better off" than more expensive regulators on what grounds?
Per Atomic, the spec says they all breathe the same because they're all the same design. It does have 3 years, but it's still the same dive interval. The sealing also costs horrific amounts of money when you look at it because the lube is not cheap. Makes it at least $25 more at service than unsealed regs.

"They all breath the same"...which is way better than most other brands I have used. I'll say one thing...we definitely don't reckon "horrific" amounts of money the same!!! $25.00 more for the service???? No way I can carry a spare $150.00 dollar hose???? If $25.00 was a "deal breaker" to get a reg serviced I'd quit diving. Buddy if you get too hungry come on up here, I'll at least feed ya!!!!

@msinc what specific regulators are you referring to?

I'm not bashing Atomic, they are damned good regulators. The pissed off scubapro engineers took and improved on the mk25/s600 designs, that's for sure, but I'm still curious why someone is "way better off" than with something else comparable priced.

The $150 hose and $25 service adds up when you have close to 2 dozen regulators for cave/technical diving, but more to the point it is needless spending, and I'm not going to throw that amount of money away for no reason when I can have a design that does just as well and doesn't cost me that much

They do have a "universal" atomic swivel hose. I have one that I don't use that came on some other random regs I bought.

As someone else pointed out to the OP seriously consider finding a Z2 or Z3 (z3 more likely to have a swivel hose included) it'll be cheaper and equal quality.

I saw this one which must be the Ti version based on the color and price. Either way at $14 it's still something you have to carry with you and not lose if you are using their swivel hose.

The jam nut is not required. If a the swivel hose went out one can put a std. hose on without any issues. The jam nut is chrome plated brass the old ones (circa <2005) are delrin.

Back
Top Bottom