Atomic B2 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Buying a used B2 that was purchased new in 2006. Owner said they only used it for a few certification dives. Has there been any changes to The B2's since 2006? I have read over the sticky post at the top of this thread. Anything else I should look for on this? Paying $325, think that is average of what I have seen used.

Thanks for any info.

Only thing to be worried about is the piston.

If the black rubber cap on the 1st stage is a cap that covers the end,
and not just a donut ring that leaves the metal exposed, then you should be good to go.

Last edited:
It does have a rubber cap on it. It seems to be in very good shape. Thanks

If it hasn't been used since 2006 it obviously needs to be serviced. The sticky might say something about that.

By the time you get done with that, the price approaches a new B2 sold at MAP. Some places will service a new reg for free for x years. So your new used reg may actually cost you more after only two years, if you follow atomics maintenance schedule. Of course, you will not be building as good a relationship with the lds.

There was a guy in our area who bought an atomic from an lds. When he wanted to have it serviced, he wouldn't to go back to the shop he bought it from. So, he goes to another shop to have it serviced and has a problem with them too. Finally, he sends it out of town with more problems. Comes in our shop and wants us to fix it for free because the last shop was an atomic dealer and the service should be under warranty. Really?

What's the point? Find an lds that you like and trust, patronize them and if you have problems, you will stand a lot better chance than buying used off the internet and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Back to the original subject on what to look for. You might want to have the sale contingent on a technician inspecting it during the servicing process. If it was used in salt water and left for 10 years who knows what shape it is in. If you have to replace hoses, etc the deal is not so good.

Local shop will service the 1st and 2cnd stages for $59.99 plus parts, problem is it takes about a month. Map pricing on this is $729, the LDS was asking $699 but would have to order one.
20170310_164329.jpg

If it hasn't been used since 2006 it obviously needs to be serviced. The sticky might say something about that.

By the time you get done with that, the price approaches a new B2 sold at MAP. Some places will service a new reg for free for x years. So your new used reg may actually cost you more after only two years, if you follow atomics maintenance schedule. Of course, you will not be building as good a relationship with the lds.

There was a guy in our area who bought an atomic from an lds. When he wanted to have it serviced, he wouldn't to go back to the shop he bought it from. So, he goes to another shop to have it serviced and has a problem with them too. Finally, he sends it out of town with more problems. Comes in our shop and wants us to fix it for free because the last shop was an atomic dealer and the service should be under warranty. Really?

What's the point? Find an lds that you like and trust, patronize them and if you have problems, you will stand a lot better chance than buying used off the internet and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Back to the original subject on what to look for. You might want to have the sale contingent on a technician inspecting it during the servicing process. If it was used in salt water and left for 10 years who knows what shape it is in. If you have to replace hoses, etc the deal is not so good.

A new B2 is going to be well over $700. He can buy this and have it serviced for for a decade before he gets close to that.

$150-200 per service labor and service kits plus tax x 2 for the initial and first 2 year service + 325 for used reg = $625 to 725 assuming no initial problems with the used reg.

From the other perspective:

10 years / 2 years = 5 services + original service = 6 services labor + parts assuming no problems with the regs between two year servicing procedures allowing for a two year serving period.

$750 or so for new reg - 325 for used reg = 425 difference for service plus annual inspections. Shop will actually probably charge for annual inspection.

425 / 6 services = $70.83 per service parts and labor.

Atomic first and second stage parts kit typical retail = $50.

$70.83 - 50 = $20.83 for labor.

Proper disassembly, cleaning, service parts kit replacement, reassembly, test, problem resolution, and adjust time depends on the technician say 2 hours.

20.83 / 2 hours = $10.42 per hour for the technician and shop overhead for rent, electric, insurance, cost of technician training and trip expenses every two years, amortized per hour, etc.

Not likely when you actually examine it.

Of course, I would agree that you could have it "serviced" by a non-atomic certified technician and not really have the real atomic service kits used, if any parts are actually replaced at all. There is an internet company that "services" regrets for close to the dealer cost of the kits. Maybe they don't pay their technicians. You could do that for 10 years for the difference in price.

Before we knew better we used one of those companies. After finding out what we were really getting and crunching the numbers, we knew the regs were not getting properly serviced nor were factory service kits actually being used.

I have seen many, many regrets with the second stage seat reversed. If they won't replace a $0.50 part, what else isn't replaced or not really serviced.

Last edited:
Or…

Used B2 $325
IP gauge $30
Service every 3-5 years $150(3x$150)
So $805.
That's for that used B2 and initial service. And if you service it once the reg actually needs it you're probably gonna save a few bucks. And my LDS that's an Atomic dealer doesn't even charge $150 for the 1st, 2nd and octo with atomic parts I just rounded up to what I thought others may charge. If you bought it new and followed the two years and they threw in the first service you'd be looking at $1350+/- for a new one over ten years.

Local shop will service the 1st and 2cnd stages for $59.99 plus parts, problem is it takes about a month. Map pricing on this is $729, the LDS was asking $699 but would have to order one. View attachment 400411

The B2 looks to be in great condition. I will definitely buy this at $325 over a brand new. For 1st and 2nd, $60 labor is fair. Kit is $25/stage (use Dive Seekers as reference.) So $435, you will have fully working B2, it is a hack lot better than $725 IMO. Atomic don't necessary to be service every 2 years unless you dive very often. None of the seat material is being wore when the reg is not pressurized. Just buy IP gauge and learn a little on reg inspection. Don't do un-necessary service.

As for your dive shop, it sounds like they out source the service. There is no reason to take a month. In that case, you may as well mail your reg out for service. But I would find another shop that really know Atomics and do their job in house.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom