Atomic B1- Ist Stage Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harry Kreigh

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Atomic B1 regulator (for the past 2 years). Near the end of my last liveaboard trip, I noticed a leak in the 1st stage (hissing sound). Changing the tank o-ring did not stop it. I dipped the tank underwater, but could not see any bubbles from the 1st stage. I continued to dive and did not experience reduced dive times due to a leak.

I just had it serviced and the noise was still present. The tech changed the high-pressure seat and apparently that solved the problem (the seats are different sized and don't all fit tightly?). I called Atomic tech support, but they had no idea what was causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with an Atomic B1 regulator? Is it anything serious?

BTW, I purchased it from LeisurePro and traced the serial number. It was about four years old when I bought it and LeisurePro got it from a dealer in Israel. I haven't had any other problems with it and really like it, but I don't recommend buying regulators from them.

...for what it's worth, a while back Atomic issued a big recall of some of their 1st stages....you may be able to find the details on the Atomic WWW site..........from what I remember, it had something to do with defective 1st stage pistons or springs......they do sell an upgrade kit to fix the defect, it sounds like your model was produced during the timeframe of the recall.

Karl

scubafanatic:
...for what it's worth, a while back Atomic issued a big recall of some of their 1st stages....you may be able to find the details on the Atomic WWW site..........from what I remember, it had something to do with defective 1st stage pistons or springs......they do sell an upgrade kit to fix the defect, it sounds like your model was produced during the timeframe of the recall.

Karl

I checked with Atomic about the recall. My regulator wasn't affected by it, and even if it was, the defect would not have caused this problem (according to Atomic).

I'd take it back to where you just had it serviced and ask them.. or find another place to service it. I'm a bit confused though... if it is making a hissing sound... air has to be coming out... so why no bubbles?? Do you mean it only hisses when you breath in?? or just sitting there is it going "hisssss". Cause if it is... the sound has to be coming from an air leak. If it's just when you breath, it might just be you are hearing the expanding air rushing through the piston.

scubatoys:
I'd take it back to where you just had it serviced and ask them.. or find another place to service it. I'm a bit confused though... if it is making a hissing sound... air has to be coming out... so why no bubbles?? Do you mean it only hisses when you breath in?? or just sitting there is it going "hisssss". Cause if it is... the sound has to be coming from an air leak. If it's just when you breath, it might just be you are hearing the expanding air rushing through the piston.

It started hissing when I opened the tank valve (same thing after it was serviced). I hesitate to call it a "leak" because I didn't see any air bubbles (and no other divers saw air bubbles coming from my 1st stage). After I pointed out the sound to the service tech, he replaced the high pressure seat and the noise stopped. I'm just concerned that it may reoccur and be symptomatic of a bigger problem. Atomic wasn't able to figure it out so I doubt another dive shop would know the answer either. That's why I brought it up in this forum, seeking help from other B1 users.

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Kreigh:
It started hissing when I opened the tank valve (same thing after it was serviced). I hesitate to call it a "leak" because I didn't see any air bubbles (and no other divers saw air bubbles coming from my 1st stage). After I pointed out the sound to the service tech, he replaced the high pressure seat and the noise stopped. I'm just concerned that it may reoccur and be symptomatic of a bigger problem. Atomic wasn't able to figure it out so I doubt another dive shop would know the answer either. That's why I brought it up in this forum, seeking help from other B1 users.

Thanks,
Harry

Are you sure the hissing was not coming from a 2nd stage? (I've only got one working ear and can never tell where the leak is coming from.)

If the HP seat was failling allowing IP to slowly creep, a 2nd stage would eventually have to let the pressure escape. If the creep is slow enough, it might never cause any leak while you are using the reg. And an HP seat change is most likely fix.

If the reg was 4 years old, it was well due for service so leaky seats would not be out of the ordinary. If a seat change fixed the problem, you shouldn't have any problem in the future. Keep in mind that regs are like most other machines, they do need regular maintenance to stay in peak operating condition (usually every one to two years.)

chrispete:
If the reg was 4 years old, it was well due for service so leaky seats would not be out of the ordinary. If a seat change fixed the problem, you shouldn't have any problem in the future. Keep in mind that regs are like most other machines, they do need regular maintenance to stay in peak operating condition (usually every one to two years.)

The reg was in the box for 4 years before I bought it, only 2 years of actual use. I am surprised that the Atomic HP seats aren't all the same size though. I hope you are right and this is a permanent fix. Thanks.

Harry Kreigh:
The reg was in the box for 4 years before I bought it, only 2 years of actual use. I am surprised that the Atomic HP seats aren't all the same size though. I hope you are right and this is a permanent fix. Thanks.

I believe they changed the seat design at somepoint. I know my tec commented on it the firt time I had mine serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom