Atomic Aquatics Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon2115

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the process of selecting my first regulator and could use some opinions. I'm currently looking at an Atomic Aquatics Z1. I've read that it performs well in testing. I only know of one person in my area that has an Atomic reg (the B1) and loves it. An important factor is that my LDS carries and services them.

Intended use is in tropical waters, but I could see myself getting pulled into a local dive (New England) but only at the warmest time of the year. Diving cold water doesn't interest me.

My questions are:

Why does there appear to be so few people on this forum using Atomics?

Is there something negative I haven't found out about them yet?

What is everyones' opinion of the Z1?

I am looking at the B2 myself and haven't found too many opinions here. I think maybe it's because they are pricey and less abundant on the market as compared to like a MARES or SCUBAPRO. My LDS has them but they are the only dealers for miles, where as the other brands are more common.

Of the only reviews I have seen, I read that years ago there was a recall on Atomic Aquatics 1st stage, but that was fixed. Since then no bad reviews. I have read in a few places that they tend to be reviewed really high. I think maybe even Rodales said they were the best breathing regulator but outside the price limit for the test.

For the price difference, I'd go for the B2 because it has the swivel mouthpiece which is very comfortable....and you can pick your color if that matters to you. Most places I called said they can discount them up to 15% especially if I buy a package. Atomics has a thing about not selling their products online or posting their prices, so buyer beware if you decide to buy from internet outfits like LP.

Don't know how helpful this was, but please post what you decide and what you find. It will help me too.

Hi,

My wife and I have the Atomic Z1.

Taking into account the small number of dives we yet have (mid 30s), we have found the reg to be just great. Breathes easy so far in all environments, no issues (taken it down to 90' in Cozumel warm salt water; 60' in 50 deg F Illinois quarry water). Cleans up easy (annual inspection showed mint condition with the decent basic care I have given it).

FWIW, you can upgrade features of the reg in future as your needs change (we just had the cold-water enviromental seal kit installed, to go with our drysuits for Lake Michigan diving for a longer season; and converted yoke A clamp to DIN when we bought tanks).

Here's a link to the big Scuba Diving magazine review, it rated well, especially for the price (midrange): http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/the_mother_of_all_reg_reviews .

One feature my wife and I particularly liked: the second stage is reasonbly compact; bigger second stages we have tried (what we used in OW class, for example), bumped our masks and were sometimes a strain to keep clamped in our mouths. One of the few times anyone ever told me I had a small mouth ;-).

Cheers,
Walter

It's a great reg!

It breathes the same at 30' as it does at 130'. I've used it in 45 degree water with no problems. (I did pick up an M1 for very cold water).

Terry

Dragon2115:
I'm in the process of selecting my first regulator and could use some opinions. I'm currently looking at an Atomic Aquatics Z1. I've read that it performs well in testing. I only know of one person in my area that has an Atomic reg (the B1) and loves it. An important factor is that my LDS carries and services them.

Intended use is in tropical waters, but I could see myself getting pulled into a local dive (New England) but only at the warmest time of the year. Diving cold water doesn't interest me.

My questions are:

All of the Atomic models are very easy breathing regulators. We had them in rental this year and they held up very well, without any problems.

Some differences between the Z1 and B2.

The B2 has a swivel on the first stage and 2nd stage,while the Z1 is fixed.
The B2 has a 2 year service interval, while Z1 is every year.

Other than that they breathe about the same

Paul

Dragon2115:

My questions are:

I have a B1(bought it a couple years ago) It's the best breathing reg I've ever used. My buddy has a Poseidon and I think mine is better, especially shallow. Although his may be better at depth, it's on the edge of freeflow all the time, mine never is. When Atomics advertises effortless breathing at depth, they mean it. I don't consciously think about breathing anymore.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the B2 instead of the Z1, it's newer, has the swivel, and the 2nd stage body is titanium so it's lighter. And it has the same first stage design as the T1, just in plated brass instead of titanium. Plus you get the 2-yr. recommended service interval with the B1.

I've owned my reg for 3 yrs. Last spring at my first service, the technician commented when I picked it up that it was like brand new, he had debated on even changing out the parts since they weren't worn at all - he did since I paid for it - and said I must take extra care of it - which I don't, if anything I'm a little lazy about maintenance.

Downside is they're pricey, I don't remember what I paid, but it was on sale and was still the most expensive piece of gear I'd ever bought at the time.

Another reg to consider is Apeks, I've heard really good things about them. Or you can't go wrong with a Scubapro MK series either.

my .02

Steve

I'm currently using a B2 and I'm very happy with it.

Atomic Aquatics (out of Huntington Beach, CA) is a very good company according to all reports I've heard about it. It was started by 2 guys who worked at ScubaPro. The story I heard is that ScubaPro wouldn't let them bring out a new reg they'd developed so they left to start their own company back in 1995.

One nice thing about some of their regs (though not the Z1) is that they only need to be serviced every 2 years (or 300 dives) instead of every year.

Their SS1 (integrated alternate) is awesome!

I bought my 2 Z1's off ebay for $250 each with warranty and added the swivel hose, M1 exhaust and dual silicone mouthpiece to them for less than $100 each. They are great regs.

All the Atomic regs are the same design internally, just different materials. They all breath the same. There is probably no reason other than marketing for the 1 year service interval on the Z1.

Frank

You can't go wrong with Atomic unless you are specifically looking for a diaphram 1st stage which they don't make.

Really great replies. Thanks.

It looks like what's been said here mirrors what my friend told me of his B1 and what I've read online about them. He's an assistant instructor and had to hold a panicing diver down for a couple of minutes at 90 fsw, and he said he had no problem breathing hard with it. I'm glad to hear that is a common trait across the entire product line.

Unfortubately I am on a budget. You see I have this moderating factor called, my lovely wife, and not for the reasons you might first think. I need to buy two of everything, not necessarily identical, but two bc's, two regs, etc, etc, etc. This year I think it will be the regs and my bc (BP&W). Next year will be her bc (if she's happy with how her diet has progressed) and one dive computer with the last computer the following year.

I know, take it slow and buy a little bit at a time. But I want it, I want it, I WANT IT!!! :17:

The one year service interval vs. the two year doesn't really bother me where I think our diving is going to be limited to travel to the Caribbean. Where the regs will probably be in storage most of the time I'd feel more comfortable having them serviced/inspected annually before the first trip of the year anyway, even if it was a T1. Speaking of which, what is the typical cost to have one of these regs serviced and how much do replacement parts run if it needs them and it's after the warranty has expired? I plan to have whatever I buy for a long time.

(pgdive)

Paul,

My wife says hello. You met her briefly before christmas when she came in to pick up the UK Fathom Pack she was giving me. I can't wait to try them out in Aruba the end of June. Are you an Atomic dealer? I'll be in the market to buy in a couple of months. COME ON TAX REFUND! So if you are then we should talk at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom