Atomic Aquatics M1 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divenutt315

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought an Atomic Aquatic M1 and I have it Purely dedicated to my Nitrox but does it make for a good technical diving regulator as well as trimix gas too

Actually, as fine of reg that it is, I did discover a design flaw if used for deco bottles in cold water.

Because of the reverse poppet, when the reg is off, water can flow back into the first stage. Even though you should charge your reg before you descend, it's possible for the pressure to be released from the second stage, and then water can flow into the first stage. Then, when you turn on the reg and begin to breath from it, the water in the first stage can freeze and cause a free flow. Or in my case, sputtering, and complete reg failure.

I experienced this several times. I didn't know what the problem was, so I had it rebuilt. The problem happened again, so the dealer replaced it with a new one. It happened again, and I called Atomic, and they confirmed that this could happen due to the reverse poppet. They suggested to charge the reg now and then during the dive, if used on a deco bottle. I do this, and turn down the 2nd stage and I haven't had the issue since - but what a pain. If anyone wants to trade my M1 for a MK17 or an XTX50, let me know!

Actually, as fine of reg that it is, I did discover a design flaw if used for deco bottles in cold water.

Because of the reverse poppet, when the reg is off, water can flow back into the first stage.

I always wondered about that. It also made me wonder about gear washing too.

It also made me wonder about gear washing too.

Yeah, the manual tells you to have the reg on a tank pressurized when cleaning.

Cheers for the info... have one of these 2nd stages on layby and will definately keep it charged on a tank when cleaning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom