Question Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 - pressure gauge problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zoila

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had this computer for a few years now and has been working great, however when connected to a tank it either reads very low values or stays on zero. When i used- it correctly states air pressure when tank is getting low.
It also has worked fine intermittently with no problems,
Thoughts?- faulty pressure sensor of could be silt/debris in port? Has anyone had similar problem?

So if I understand correctly, your tank pressure is reading correctly at low pressures, but not at higher pressures? Or is it now off all the time?
What firmware version are you running? That may make a difference as to how calibration screens look. And the serial # would help to identify the date of manufacture and exactly what hardware is inside.

While it's possible that something is interfering with pressure coming through the QD fitting, I have not seen that happening before. I'd suggest the first thing to try would be calibration of the HP sensor.

To calibrate high pressure, you need to enter a diagnostic/ calibration mode. To enter calibration/ diagnostic mode go to the Settings menu, Personal Info option, and temporarily change the user name to ATOMIC <spaces> A. That is, ATOMIC, followed by 5 blank spaces, with an A in the last possible (12th) slot.

Once you have accepted this change, going to the Calibrate menu item will show several more possibilities. HP sensor is the one you want. Others relate to diagnosing or calibrating the compass.

To calibrate High Pressure, step through the instructions on the screen. The Cobalt will need to be able to be connected to a gas supply with a known pressure for the final reading, and you need to enter that value manually, but the first reading is just to set zero.

If you can take a snapshot of the values that display on the final calibration screen, that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem, if calibration alone doesn't fix it.

We have an area on ScubaBoard devoted to supporting these computers:

Hope this helps.

Ron

So if I understand correctly, your tank pressure is reading correctly at low pressures, but not at higher pressures? Or is it now off all the time?
What firmware version are you running? That may make a difference as to how calibration screens look. And the serial # would help to identify the date of manufacture and exactly what hardware is inside.

While it's possible that something is interfering with pressure coming through the QD fitting, I have not seen that happening before. I'd suggest the first thing to try would be calibration of the HP sensor.

To calibrate high pressure, you need to enter a diagnostic/ calibration mode. To enter calibration/ diagnostic mode go to the Settings menu, Personal Info option, and temporarily change the user name to ATOMIC <spaces> A. That is, ATOMIC, followed by 5 blank spaces, with an A in the last possible (12th) slot.

Once you have accepted this change, going to the Calibrate menu item will show several more possibilities. HP sensor is the one you want. Others relate to diagnosing or calibrating the compass.

To calibrate High Pressure, step through the instructions on the screen. The Cobalt will need to be able to be connected to a gas supply with a known pressure for the final reading, and you need to enter that value manually, but the first reading is just to set zero.

If you can take a snapshot of the values that display on the final calibration screen, that would be helpful in diagnosing the problem, if calibration alone doesn't fix it.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your help, Took it out the other day & it seems to be working correctly though I’m not convinced & feel that your suggestion on the calibration of the HP sensor could be the right path to take.
I’ll find out the firmware version though I did update a while back.
Kind regards Carl

Hope this helps.

Ron

Calibration won't hurt. It's also possible that there was some kind of intermittent disruption in the wires that connect the HP sensor to the main PCB. The signals are very tiny until they are amplified on the PCB. But hopefully whatever you saw was transient, or related to the pressure getting to the HP sensor. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom