Atom 2.0 - very strange behavior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I were meeting a friend to make a night dive Saturday. While we were setting up our gear, he turned his computer on to see what pressure he had in his tank. For some reason, the computer thought he was already diving....he was standing at our truck, 30 feet above sea level, and his computer thought he was diving. It went through some dive profile of sorts, and then finally stopped at 46 feet or something like that....it was showing that he was at depth and his remaining air time (note that the air pressure in the tank was not decreasing, but for whatever reason, it would show that he had less and less air time).

While he was "at depth", the computer was keeping track of his dive time. Not wanting to call the dive, we decided to make a very conservative profile and that I would be continuously monitoring what his air pressure says versus what I would expect his air pressure to be based on mine. We went to a max depth of 82 feet and his computer said his max depth was 113 feet. We were at depth long enough for him to exceed the NDL (takes a whole lot less time at 113 feet than at 82) even though we were nowhere close in reality.

Obviously, not wanting to do 40 minutes of deco, we did not comply with the computer's wishes and it completely locked up. My questions are: what in the world would make this computer do that, and is this a known issue? And if you end up locking out your computer by not complying with the deco obligation, is there a way to reset it so it doesn't screw up subsequent dives?

Is it still acting all funky or did it finally clear up? After seeing his computer do that it's reinforced in my mind why to have a backup spg and bottom timer should I ever buy an AI computer. Hope Stephen gets it all sorted!

Posted via Mobile Device

It was still locked up on Sunday. We decided to do a lobster dive, and since I dive with an SPG in addition to my AI computer, and we knew we were looking at a max depth of 30 feet (less air time than NDL time), we swapped transmitters. He took my computer and my transmitter and I wasn't planning on taking his computer, but right at the end, we decided we were curious what the computer would do (i.e. would it continue to tell us we were in violation, not monitor the air, not monitor bottom time and depth....or would it tell us all the information we needed while reminding me that I had no NDL time left and that I was in violation? Turns out that it will allow you to make the dive, but it will remind you that you are violating it...). I meant to take a look at it last night, but I spaced out and didn't check it.

BTW, on our Sunday dive, it was reading depth correctly (0 feet at surface, max depth of 29 feet....consistent with the other computer).

Still wondering what happened the first time around....

Sorry I missed it - there is clearly a problem with the depth sensor - please give the guys in customer service a call - 800-435-3483, ext. 761.

The computer may be reset by pulling the battery (for no less than 8 seconds to clear). However, while it will clear the lockout - it will also clear all calculations from dives in the same activation period.

Back
Top Bottom