Atlantis IV Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Had a last minute invite to get a group of us together to go out with Atlantis Charters last week due to a cancellation. Absolutely amazing boat, great crew and had some spectacular dives.

36342040_10160675088725717_6614851300628627456_o.jpg

Hit the Indra on day 1 since we had one of our new students with us who had never been in the ocean. Saw a couple of sand tigers and logged just shy of 3 hours of bottom time. This guy forgot to pre-medicate, eat before getting on, and as soon as we slowed down and the diesel fumes caught up with me it ended up being a real bad day on the boat. Thankfully the water was 79 or so, and I ended up diving in shorts and a t-shirt and was doing ok. Video by one of my buddies who works for AirTech who is faster at editing than I am.

Day 2 was on the Caribsea and we were lucky enough to see a good size manta for the first 15 minutes or so of the day. Being on the Caribsea this time of year, we are unsurprised to see several dozen good sized Sand Tigers. The CCR allowed me to get quite close to them, though it was the monster barracuda and Sgt. Majors following them around that had me a bit nervous. Got a smidgen under 2 hours of bottom time on day 2 and was thankfully feeling a bit less queasy.

Thanks for the post Tom, can you tell us a little more about diving off the boat? I frequently dive MHC, but I've never been on that boat.

Thanks for the post Tom, can you tell us a little more about diving off the boat? I frequently dive MHC, but I've never been on that boat.

~46ft long 6-pack. Originally built in the early 80's as a charter boat and owned by Bobby since the mid-90s. There is a full head, galley *fridge, microwave, toaster oven, panini press*, 7 racks down below for nap-time, heat/AC, and freshwater hot/cold shower on board.
Comfortably holds about 8 divers worth of gear on board, 6-pack divers, mate, Captain's gear, and room for a 9th if they have another crew member on board. 8 on the benches, 9th on the deck.

The boat is booked about a year in advance so you won't see much advertising and they tend to be quite picky about who's on their boat so just calling up to get on is near impossible.
Diving is not babysat, so if you want to do deco, or one real long dive, or whatever you want to do, they'll do it. It's amazingly different from many other charter operations where you have to follow divemasters around and they monitor everything. On day 1, my buddy and I were down for a little over 90 minutes on both dives, while the newer divers were around 50 minutes. They had a longer SIT and we all got in on the second dive on our own time. As long as your group is OK with the dive plans, you do you.

That what you were looking for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom