Atlanta - what's reasonable for viz/hydro etc? (and where)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I just bought several tanks that I know have been well-maintained. They are currently needing viz and will need hydro in the next year or so. On another thread a while ago I asked a similar question - as to a reasonable cost for viz and hydro in Atlanta - and I got one answer (thank you! 12 for viz and 15 for hydro) but I wanted to repost with more questions..

Is the above mentioned rate the going rate?
Is there some hydro facility I should be taking them to? I'm pretty sure my LDS charges more than 15 and I have like 8 tanks that will be needing hydro about the same time - I don't mind taking them somewhere myself to save some $$.
What about 02 cleaning the valves/manifolds? Is this something I should just get a mentor and learn how to do myself?
Any specific suggestions?

I live in Atlanta and work in Vinings. I have a LDS here, and one in SC and one in FL, but I want to know what reasonable looks like in terms of these costs.

TIA!!!

The normal I have seen is 10 to 15 for a visual and 25 to 40 for a hydro. Some places include a fill for either, some don't. Regarding a hydro, I don't have as many tanks as you do (only 6), but they are chrome Moly high pressure ones that are sort of famous for being incorrectly failed... so I take mine to someone that just does scuba tanks....if what you have are aluminum ones, then just about anyone should do. Anyone doing O2 cleaned tanks should be replacing the valve o-ring (with a viton one) and lubing the threads, by the way.

If I had 8 tanks to get vis'ed, I would ask for a discount, and have them all done at once... or half done, to make it easier on the shop and you. I know our shop would.

Regarding O2 cleaning valves/manifolds. No magic here... but you need to have all the o-rings and seals necessary before taking one apart. I only have blue steel, so having the rebuild kits is just one set of parts.

If you have the parts, O2 grease and the tools, cleaning them is easy to learn...but keep in mind that O2 grease dries out over time (unlike other greases) and requires replacement.

Ah you bring up good points... btw all the tanks that will need to be hydro'ed are luxfer's. Thanks for your post, I learned from it.

If you take them to the Hydro place yourself, they will still need to be VIP'd at a dive shop. The Hydro process may leave some detritus in the bottom of the tank. The $40 quoted me for hydro by a dive shop included a VIP and (air) fill. I just paid the difference for a Nitrox fill (not partial pressure, so not O2 cleaned).

I'm in SoCal and find PufferFish's estimates to be in the correct range for this region. Can't say for any other parts of the country. Since I dive frequently (when I can afford it), I like having tanks that come up for VIP or hydro at different times of the year so at least one set is always current and the other can go into the shop for the inspection or test. No operator here on Catalina Island does hydros on site so I have to journey to the mainland to have those done. I look for a shop (like Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro) that does the hydro on-site and is open over the weekends so I can get quick turn around and not have to spend more than one weekday "over there" unless I have other business to conduct.

I just got off the phone with Tommy and we can do them up at White Stone Diving formally Dive Haven for $35 each for vis and hydro and Air Fill. I live in the Smyrna / Vinings area and I am there on all of the weekends that I am not traveling. I will take them up there if you don't want to drive to Cartersville / White if you drop them off at my place. If you do all eight I can get you a free day diving or a slight discount and if you have ten we can do even better.

O2 Cleaning is $45 for the tank and valve: the price has recently risen due to as mentioned above; the Viton O-rings, the horific price of Christo lube, and the cleaning agent

PM me if you want any additional information

...Since I dive frequently (when I can afford it), I like having tanks that come up for VIP or hydro at different times of the year so at least one set is always current and the other can go into the shop for the inspection or test. ...

Wow I didn't even think of that... all of these tanks are out of vis and several will come out of hydro at the same time. BUT I don't need them all for the diving I'm doing right now so I guess I could wait a few months to get half of them done or something. I need to "cogitate" on that one (as my Dad would say). Thanks for the perspective.

If you take them to the Hydro place yourself, they will still need to be VIP'd at a dive shop. The Hydro process may leave some detritus in the bottom of the tank. The $40 quoted me for hydro by a dive shop included a VIP and (air) fill. I just paid the difference for a Nitrox fill (not partial pressure, so not O2 cleaned).

Thanks so much - this is exactly why I asked these questions, to get this kind of information, I wouldn't have thought of why they needed to be done together - by the same shop.

I just got off the phone with Tommy and we can do them up at White Stone Diving formally Dive Haven for $35 each for vis and hydro and Air Fill. I live in the Smyrna / Vinings area and I am there on all of the weekends that I am not traveling. I will take them up there if you don't want to drive to Cartersville / White if you drop them off at my place. If you do all eight I can get you a free day diving or a slight discount and if you have ten we can do even better.

O2 Cleaning is $45 for the tank and valve: the price has recently risen due to as mentioned above; the Viton O-rings, the horific price of Christo lube, and the cleaning agent

PM me if you want any additional information

Well that was very kind of you!! I want to get up to White's Quarry this summer but I may take you up on your offer since I'm not going to be in town much myself until after labor day.

Interesting that O2 cleaning is so expensive... sounds like something I need to learn to do for myself!!! With regards to my next questions, I realize I can ask one of the instructors I'm working with but I want to know what PEOPLE are doing in the real world. do you O2 clean your tanks and valves on a yearly basis? Or just when you get them hydro'ed? I bought these tanks from someone who is meticulous about keeping their gear straight so I am not worried about past maintenance but if they should be O2 cleaned on an annual basis then I need to plan for that.

It depends on how you plan to use your tanks. Mine only have nitrox in them (or trimix). I only fill at a few locations where I know their air quality. It is far more important to have clean valves and tanks if you have any partial pressure blending done, which I do from time to time.

I make sure the tanks are O2 cleaned after hydro... and then have the annual inspection. If clean (and they have been for the last decade or so)...that is it for O2 cleaning for the tank.

The valves, well they get cleaned and rebuilt if any work is done on them I have a love/hate relationship with O2 lubricants.. mostly hate. They cost a ton, and they dry-out over time. A blue steel rebuild kit costs around $11 (includes the large valve to tank o-ring, and the lubricant will cost around $30 for 2 oz (2oz does go a long way). Valve life varies from a couple years to lots of years... but none have been done every year.

Remember, O2 cleaning is important for partial pressure fills and if not clean is a safety risk to the filler, not the user. The exception to this is if you have 100% O2 tanks, then it is a risk to everyone. Yes, the user will loose the tank, but the filler would be the one in danger. I fill my own tanks a lot, so being clean is rather important to me.

Back
Top Bottom