AT-Pac Restoration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an At-Pac from 1975 that I have gotten the bug to put back into service. It suffers mostly from old-age rather than abuse. This is a single-tank version with the plastic shell (4 closures).

I took the back pack off the shell (tied together with a single piece of nylon line) and removed the bladder from the outer covering. The bladder is completely rotted as you can imagine after 30 years of doing nothing. I salvaged the elbow off of the bladder and am now hoping to fashion a replacement bladder.

I understand from other posts that these bladders were made from truck inner-tubes. I think I can find a few of those without much trouble. The bladder is a horseshoe shaped affair. I'm looking for suggestions on how I might fashion an innertube. The original, from what i can tell seems to have reinforcement at the bottoms of the horseshoe arms. I'm wondering if this is just an overlap of the original tube, or additional pieces that were glued on? Because of the advanced state of deterioration it is hard to tell from the original.

Any suggestions on an appropriate adhesive and preparation? I usually clean with MEK before these types of repairs on drysuits etc., but this is my first attempt to repair a bladder.

The elbow I salvaged from the original seems okay, but I fear it may be brittle and need to be replaced down the road. Any suggestions on replacing this elbow?

Open to all help and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

A great write up on the history of the At Pac by John A that might have some useful information in it for you.
Courtesy of the manuals and catalogs repository at Vintage Double Hose.
CLICK HERE

Ron,

The original At Pacs were indeed fashioned from truck inner tubes in Whittier California. If you would like I can furnish the name and e mail address of a local gentleman who as a youth .assembled the At Pacs as an after school job. Perhaps he can shed some light on the technique of cutting and gluing. Pm if interested.

Bob Lorenz who was the original owner of the name "Water gill" and I use to chat on occasion. He moved to NorCal where he passed away some years ago. As I recall Zale Parry's first husband Parry Bivens was associated with Bob's group. Zale is alive and well but is very restrictive who with her address and who contacts her.

I became acquainted and friends with the developers Larry Scott and Bill Walters when they were members of the Long Beach Neptune's "Junior Neptunes. " They are now in or approaching their 80s have faded into obscurity of the dive world.

My last contact with Larry was about 10 years ago at that time he was living in Long Beach and consulting with the late Harry Rescignos " Inflatable Systems" new owners - A few years ago Inflatable Systems were producing high end PFVs for the military. They just might have the capitibilites to produce a custom bag...A long shot but give it a try.

After the implosion of the company Bill moved to Ventura, California and eventually the Pacific North west where he became a manufactures representative . Bill was an LA County UW instructor and they just might have his address.

Hope some of this will be of assistance to you..

I have a mint very rare DSFS regulator (I believe that it the designation) a At Pac hose and a very clean plastic covering all for sale - now or in the future. If interested PM and we possibly can get together .

Good luck and thanks for stirring some long dormant memories

SAM
ps- I was involved in civic group some years ago- One member had a pronounced "interesting accent" had attended Murray state teachers college --in your town ?? sdm

Last edited:
I purchased my At-Pac new in 1973. The original bladder finally failed in 2009. I replaced it with a modern bladder manufactured by OMS. Because the OMS bladder was equipped with an OPDV fitting, I modified the Nylon outer wing of the At-Pac for the OPDV. I also used a new inflator hose, elbow, etc. So, internally, it is all modern. I know this violates the true "vintage" aspect. I dive it a few times a year for fun and to amaze my friends.

I purchased my At-Pac new in 1973. The original bladder finally failed in 2009. I replaced it with a modern bladder manufactured by OMS. Because the OMS bladder was equipped with an OPDV fitting, I modified the Nylon outer wing of the At-Pac for the OPDV. I also used a new inflator hose, elbow, etc. So, internally, it is all modern. I know this violates the true "vintage" aspect. I dive it a few times a year for fun and to amaze my friends.

That is exactly what I am interested in 73diver. Question, for OMS bladder, do you recall the product number of description? Sounds like you continue to use the original nylon outer cover. Were you able to purchase just an OMS bladder, or did you purchase a wing and remove the bladder? Or perhaps you had one laying around?

Another question about your OMS solution. The hoses on the OMS bladders seem to be center mounted. Did you find one that was left side offset or did you further modify the original outer cover?

The OMS BC/wing that was closest in my opinion was the BC-116-45. OMS sells a bladder for that BC/wing #11918041 for about $90. The original At-Pac had a stainless grommet and a small elbow attached to the bladder. The OMS bladder used the modern threaded attachment. I removed the original grommet, enlarged the hole slightly and reinforced the inner and outer side by gluing on some matching Nylon fabric using Aquaseal. I likewise added a reinforced hole for the OPDV.

That sounds perfect 73Diver, very helpful. Did you purchase the bladder directly from OMS or a dealer?

Discard the last - Ordered the wing directly from OMS today, $58.

I really appreciate all your help. Hopefully in a month or so I'll have some photos of my At-Pac in the water.

Back
Top Bottom