At 165cm (5'5") I'm hardly eXtra-small

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheScream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is part rant, part asking for advice... so I'm 30 years old, 80kg and 5'5" (165cm) tall. Almost without exception, all the major brands (eg: pinnacle, mares) class me as an extra-small size height-wise but a medium or large based on my body-shape and weight.

I currently have a 3mm super-mega-ultra-stretch titanium impregnated wetsuit from a local Australian manufacturer which fits ok, mainly due to the extremely stretchy neoprene, but I'm already noticing wearing on the inside where it stretches over my "excess flab".

So, I've been comfortable after a 30min dive in 18°C water but any colder than that or longer I've come out very uncomfortable. So I'm looking for something 7mm (or 7/5/3 etc) to keep me warm down to 12 degrees (water temp is about 12-13°C in Adelaide from June to October) and probably semi-dry (or at least well-fitting enough to minimise water entry/exit).

Whats the deal then with these sizes? Am I limited to places that require a second mortgage for a custom suit? Are custom suits as good functionally as, for example, Pinnacle EM7/Arctic and Mares Isotherm? If I'm spending the $ on a custom, are their any recommendations for Australia? (I'm not fussed ordering from overseas if they're REALLY good)

Before someone asks, no, I'm not going dry.. yet. I've only logged 11 dives and want more experience before I do. (My instructor agrees.)

Take a look at Bare size MS.
BARE Scuba Diving - USA
You're a little heavier than their listed range, but only a little.
MS is not available in all lines, but look at the Velocity 3/2.

Edit: Oops, didn't read your whole post. Look at the Velocity 7/6,
or the Arctic 7.

I don't think these chaps have any outlets in SA, but they do deal direct over the net. They're near Byron Bay, NSW. Can't comment on a size that might fit you but would suggest giving them a call & see what they say about fitting someone of your proportions. Their suits come in mega & super stretch versions & according to anyone I'v spoken to who owns one they're the bees knees.

http://www.triple-x.com.au/virtuemart/megastretch-divesuits/

I'v just had a reread of your post. I have a feeling that this may be what you already have.

Well, in actual fact, that is the brand of the 3mm I currently have. They only do up to a 5mm. (I've had a med 7mm probe commercial, similar to the triple-x commercial model, and that wasn't suitable so I'm reticent to try that style again)

I've emailed them about the possibility of a custom but am yet to hear back.

To be honest, the aquaflite look quite dated in their design but I'm willing to be corrected. I'd rather pay more and get something that works as well as a perfect fitting mainstream dive brand (Pinnacle, Waterproof, Mares etc)

What about the option of buying a large mainstream brand and having it altered? Is this an option? Why am I so focussed on the mainstream stuff? Well, a lot of their innovations are patented so they cant be used by the smaller custom manufacturers. (eg: I particularly like the Pinnacle Merino lining)

EDIT: Actually, I've heard good things about Henderson and from what their site says, they do custom suits. I may be willing to even fly interstate to get fitted if they are going to be worth the money. What about Elios? I've been reading they're some of the warmest out there and do custom. Anyone had experience with them?

TheScream

You have defined the situation pretty well. You, like many are not an off the rack person and that is why the custom wetsuit industry exists. Nothing will make or break your experience as a diver like exposure protection so do this right.

With all of that ocean around you I find it hard to believe there are no custom suit folks on the continent, but I could be wrong.

This is a good forum for your question but asking about custom suit providers in the AU forum may get you closer to a solution.

Pete

Okay, I'm currently erring significantly on mail ordering a custom suit as there isn't anyone it seems that still makes them in Adelaide. This means its not going to be much different if I send the required dimensions to someone in another state of Australia or overseas. Lets start with, who makes the best suits from a technology perspective (material, features etc) and who gives the best service?

Hey Scream, I feel your pain. On the other hand, women who are have the very same problem. I had the option of wearing a terrible looking men's suit. By most industry standards, I'm not that big. I'm your typical ladies size 14. I can walk into any department store in the USA and find clothing that fits perfectly, but try to find a wetsuit, forget it!!! I was about to throw up my hands until I found this wonderful person @ Liquid Fit. I not only got a suit that fits wonderfully, but it's really stylish & colorful. The problem that you are going to encounter is finding a person/company who will be willing to ship internationally. Is there any chance that you'lll be visiting the USA?
I do wish you luck in your search,
SWT

I was about to throw up my hands until I found this wonderful person @ Liquid Fit. I not only got a suit that fits wonderfully, but it's really stylish & colorful. The problem that you are going to encounter is finding a person/company who will be willing to ship internationally. Is there any chance that you'lll be visiting the USA?

I did see the Liquid Fit website while googling but didn't think much of it at the time, they didn't look particularly up to date but I'll drop them an email and ask.

No, I wont be in the US any time soon.

You said that about Aquaflite as well. I don't understand what you mean? I think both of them offer quite stylish suits that are using up to date materials and styles. What don't you like??????

SWT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom