Assistance with canister light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since we have a few techies, I've got a canister light problem. I'm still within warranty, so I can probably send it in, but if it's a quick fix, I'd rather handle it myself.

Light is: Salvo 10watt HID 4.5a NIMH

Here's the problem:
Last night during my dive, the light cut off about 50 minutes in. The light had a full charge and should have lasted at least close to its 4hr advertised burn time. I switched off the light, and switched it back on. The light came back on, but shut off again about 2 minutes later. Did this about 3 more times before I went to my backup.

On the surface I noticed the light would flicker dimly, but would not turn on (strike?).

At home after a full charge, same thing; flicker but no strike.

Is this the balast?

Can you test the charging base? Or test the voltage of the battery to make sure it is correct (14v, assuming it's a 12v battery after a full charge IIR - someone can correct me however if that's wrong)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for the reply, Kidspot...I honestly don't have the skills (yet) to troubleshoot this kind of thing.

I'm sending it in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom