Asia is not having a happy time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Taiwan right now, and felt a 5-ish earthquake at about 4am local time. Some were saying that it was inducing motion-sickness over in Taipei 101 :O AFAIK, this is unrelated to the Chengdu quake in inland China...

Just saw some of the video of the earthquake in China on our morning news. Sounds as if thousands were killed. Sad news.

I'm in Taiwan right now, and felt a 5-ish earthquake at about 4am local time. Some were saying that it was inducing motion-sickness over in Taipei 101 :O AFAIK, this is unrelated to the Chengdu quake in inland China...

It might still be related, who knows. I got this notice from USGS' quake notification system while I was still up this morning just after 12AM PDT (see Magnitude 7.8 - EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA), and there are a couple of others that appear to potentially be growing in magnitude [edit: although they appear to most likely only be aftershocks] rather than dissipating (see Magnitude 5.5 - EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA and Magnitude 5.8 - EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA) - I really hope they are not signs of more that may yet still come :(

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event has been revised.

Region: EASTERN SICHUAN, CHINA
Geographic coordinates: 31.119N, 103.258E
Magnitude: 7.8 Mw
Depth: 10 km
Universal Time (UTC): 12 May 2008 06:28:00
Time near the Epicenter: 12 May 2008 14:28:00
Local standard time in your area: 11 May 2008 22:28:00

Location with respect to nearby cities:
98 km (61 miles) NW (305 degrees) of Chengdu, Sichuan, China
146 km (90 miles) WSW (257 degrees) of Mianyang, Sichuan, China
177 km (110 miles) NNW (346 degrees) of Leshan, Sichuan, China
1153 km (716 miles) NNW (347 degrees) of HANOI, Vietnam

Last edited:

If this is the one (Magnitude 5.6 - TAIWAN REGION) you were talking about it may be unrelated yes, but who really knows.

I trained 10 Burmese in hatchery operations in 1987 and had the pleasure to go there and work for a couple weeks later that year. The next year though, the project was shutdown due to civil unrest. Very nice place and some of the most fun people I've ever been around. It's sad how the military junta holds that country under it's thumb....seizing the aid shipments....corruption on a scale unimaginable by western standards.... and right next door, Thailand is moving full speed ahead with its economic development.

I heard tremors were felt all the way to Pakistan and Vietnam.

Hey Kim, might want to have a heads up on this.

Channelnewsasia.com
It's supposedly heading towards Tokyo....nowhere near me! It was supposed to rain this morning because of the typhoon though - but it didn't.

China sounds pretty bad though....and Burma? It's awful..... there's going to be major epidemics anytime now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom