Asahi Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, have been told that Asahi tanks have lost their US DOT certification. Have 2 in great shape, but will need Hydro soon. Any info out there.

The DOT cert has expired as of Jan 31 and has not been re-established as far as I know. I actually sent an email to Catilina cylinders about it a couple hours ago. I picked up two manifolded 120's and took them to be hydro'd and ran into that problem.

DOT Cert Exp PDF

Last edited:
Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but what exactly does that mean? I have two HP 120s in current hydro. Will we not be able to get a hydro on them in the future?

If they're the same tanks that we're talking about, if they aren't issued a new certification, no. They wouldn't be able to be hydro'd.

When they are out of hydro, I will pay $25 each for them. More than scrap value.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I got an email from the QA manager at Catalina cylinders, he provided a PDF from DOT sayingg that the tanks are good to hydro, until final admistrative action is taken. I'll try to attach the PDF.

Attachments

• US DOT TimelyFiling_2013111415.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 139
Thanks dsr30! I have a couple of tanks myself. It will be nice to have a copy of that letter in case there is a problem when it's time for hydro. Please let us know if you get notification of the "final administrative action."

Hi, have been told that Asahi tanks have lost their US DOT certification. Have 2 in great shape, but will need Hydro soon. Any info out there.

Can anyone actually tell me of any steel tank group/manufacturer/class that may in the past have actually "lost their DOT cert"?
I remember a few years ago the panic, anxiety, and gnashing of teeth regarding PST tanks losing their exemption, and lo and behold.......
A whole lotta' nuthin' that time also.
BUT........
Some AMAZING reading on this board at the time.

When they are out of hydro, I will pay $25 each for them. More than scrap

This guy is a cheapskate.
I'll give you $50, and I'll drive up there to your planet to get them.
*snicker*

Chug
Likes steel.

Thanks dsr30! I have a couple of tanks myself. It will be nice to have a copy of that letter in case there is a problem when it's time for hydro. Please let us know if you get notification of the "final administrative action."

No problem, when I get any updated info I'll be sure to post it.

Back
Top Bottom