As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your waist/hip lead?

As tech diver, diving single tank no-deco rec. in trim, what is your ditchable weight?

• None ditchable

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • 1-2 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-6 lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • 7+ lb. belt or hip integrated

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other location ditchable

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Rec small double side mount, none ditchable

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Rec small double side mount, 1-4 lb. ditchable

• Rec small double side mount, 5+ lb. ditchable

• Not tech trained, 0-2 ditchable

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Not tech trained, 3+ lb. ditchable

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelMc

Working toward Cenotes
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If you're trained as a technical diver, when you dive recreational and in trim, how much of your removable and ditchable lead is in the waist or weight belt zone, so potentially ditchable if you wanted?

Canonically with vacation diver AL 80, but whatever you actually use, single tank no-deco, is fine. The intent is that your tank choice leaves you with some leeway in ballast placement, if you choose to use it. Ditchable means quickly ditchable by you with the BC still on. So, for back mount, it mostly means BC waist belt integrated or weight belt.

With the presumption that your weight is likely split between some typically non ditchable locations (plate, BC trim pockets, shoulder weights, back mount tank straps, etc.) while some might be in locations that are both lower and typically support ditching (mostly likely in ditchable waist pocket or weight belt).

There is a current thread "Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable". It seemed some data would be interesting about how those likely ingrained with a strong definition of in trim distribute weight recreationally.

A good number of tech might prefer side mount, so I stretched the single tank rec definition to include small side mount as well.... But not so big that you're neutral or negative with just your gear.

Last edited:
If I’m diving AL80 sidemount then 2 lbs in a pocket which is kinda ditchable. My normal rig is 2x 8.5L steel 230 bar, then I am around 3 lbs negative without ballast.

Single back mount AL80 with a steel plate, no lead at all.

Usually I am diving tech/cave SM setup. It’s razor, so all ballast on the back.

If I have to dive BM single tank (DM during OW course) I split my ballast (12kgs due to really thick undergarments) between my belt (ditchable) and BCD pockets (somewhat ditchable).

With my double 12 steel tanks and drysuit/summer undergarment I do not need any extra weight. I'am almost too heavy still with 30 bar left. So no ditchable weight for me in this situation. Even contemplating about using an alu backplate to loose some weight.

Depends on wetsuit thickness, but generally 2-6 lbs on the waist, in non-quick release pockets. If you are diving a balanced rig the only time you should need ditchable weight is if you are in a thick wetsuit. I guess an argument could be made for rescue situations in a heavy undergarment and drysuit set up as well.

-Chris

Single tank with a drysuit ill wear a weight belt. Wetsuit I'll put some on the cam straps and maybe a bit on the belt if I'm using an aluminum 80, no suit al80 I'll throw a few lbs on the cam strap.

With my BP, I don't use any lead for warm water diving. In winter I add another 2x2 non-ditchable for the drysuit. I'm just starting sidemount, so I'll soon know there :)

5 mil shorty, SS plate, and 2-4 lbs in a cam band pocket. I suppose I could ditch the camband pocket weight if I had to, but it's not easily accessible. I'll consider it non-ditchable. For me, that rig is pretty much balanced though, so I don't worry about needing ditchable ballast.

none ditchable. SS plate with SS cam bands are enough. I have a freedom plate now so i may need to put 2lbs somewhere with an al80. I will probably just have as a clip weight on the rear d-ring of my crotch strap. Technically ditchable, but certainly not intended to be or would ever bother with

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom