Aruba Sept 27-Oct 4, 2008 - Dive Options/Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgorgon

New
Reaction score
Greetings!
I was alerted to this site about a year ago by a dive buddy I met on a trip to Cancun. I've lurked for the most part; this is my first forum post. Those dives reinvigorated my interest in SCUBA after a very long time away. Previously the only time I encountered good diving conditions was in a pool, diving a few quarries in the Metro-DC area and VA Beach. I have a PADI open water cert and a NAUI advanced cert and am (generally) very comfortable in the water.

I'm heading to Aruba this Saturday, September 27 and returning Saturday, October 4. I've searched the forum and picked up a lot of good info. From that info it appears that Clive at Dive Aruba offers the closest to my ideal dive experience but I'm unsure if he's able to support solo divers - I am not diving with a pre-arranged buddy. Would I be okay using Clive if I don't have a dive buddy in advance? Also, is it better to schedule my dives in advance (before leaving)?

I want to do 4 dives at least with one being a wreck dive and another being a night dive. Beyond that I'm open as to what, where and when. One of my goals during last year's trip was to cave dive which I did in one of the Cenotes. My motivation was mostly to get a cave diving notch on my belt but I ended being blown away by the experience - it remains much more than a notch to me. Does anyone have any specific suggestions akin to my Cenote experience or even what/where to stay away from?

Finally, will anyone else be there during next week that is interested in diving with me?

Thanks!
John

Last year I dove with Red Sail Sport. They picked me up at the Marriott Ocean Club every morning and dropped off a few minutes away at the Hyatt. I'm not sure how they would handle a solo diver, but they did have divemaster in the water leading the dives. You might want to check them out

Greetings!
I was alerted to this site about a year ago by a dive buddy I met on a trip to Cancun. I've lurked for the most part; this is my first forum post. Those dives reinvigorated my interest in SCUBA after a very long time away. Previously the only time I encountered good diving conditions was in a pool, diving a few quarries in the Metro-DC area and VA Beach. I have a PADI open water cert and a NAUI advanced cert and am (generally) very comfortable in the water.

I'm heading to Aruba this Saturday, September 27 and returning Saturday, October 4. I've searched the forum and picked up a lot of good info. From that info it appears that Clive at Dive Aruba offers the closest to my ideal dive experience but I'm unsure if he's able to support solo divers - I am not diving with a pre-arranged buddy. Would I be okay using Clive if I don't have a dive buddy in advance? Also, is it better to schedule my dives in advance (before leaving)?

I want to do 4 dives at least with one being a wreck dive and another being a night dive. Beyond that I'm open as to what, where and when. One of my goals during last year's trip was to cave dive which I did in one of the Cenotes. My motivation was mostly to get a cave diving notch on my belt but I ended being blown away by the experience - it remains much more than a notch to me. Does anyone have any specific suggestions akin to my Cenote experience or even what/where to stay away from?

Finally, will anyone else be there during next week that is interested in diving with me?

Thanks!
John

You also might want to check out www.shorediving.com and follow the links to Aruba. Due to an ear/sinus issue at the time I did not dive in Aruba, but many of sites are very shallow and can be done via snorkeling just as well (like Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove) as if you dove, and cost nothing if you have a snorkel and mask.

And I would just Clive the questions you are asking here. Good luck.

I dove in February with Jads. I was solo - so it was just me and a few DMs. It was pretty sweet! I recommend them.

Thanks all for the responses. I emailed Clive this morning and he replied an hour ago asking me to call him when I arrive and giving me his numbers.

You also might want to check out (Edit: I'm not allowed to post links until my sixth post so this URL is blocked by the bbs software - the link is shorediving with the usual accouterments on either side) and follow the links to Aruba.

Thanks for that link. I'm generally not that interested in snorkeling but printed that page off and plan to check out some of those places on my non-diving days.

Back
Top Bottom