Aruba.....ever been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well Bonaire isn't going to happen by early December, neither does Curacao look possible. Bottom of the list becomes Aruba, don't think we would even take our dive gear but has anyone been? Looking for a nice beach, cold adult beverage, nice beach and good food. Just need a break from the insanity gripping the nation. Looking.for advice! Thanks and this has been the longest we have gone without diving in a long time. Bill (still dreaming.of Bonaire)

Aruba is a unique island, which I've visited several times. The beaches are public and readily accessible. It's more of a desert island, but don't let that detract from its beauty. Easy to get around by rental car. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

We've stayed at Marriott Ocean Club and Surf Club, both of which I can recommend. We also stayed a night at MVC Eagle Beach, which is a smaller property, which we also enjoyed.

Diving is reported as having 100'+ visibility. Both trips that I dove they had recently had storms off the coast of South America and visibility was down to 30-40'. That was with Red Sail Sports. Looks like I dove the wreck of the Pedernalis both trips.

If you don't do an AI, there are many unique local places to eat. Linda's Dutch Pancakes would be a starter.

I can probably find more information from our past trips if you need it.

John

Check out Providencia

Well Bonaire isn't going to happen by early December, neither does Curacao look possible. Bottom of the list becomes Aruba, don't think we would even take our dive gear but has anyone been? Looking for a nice beach, cold adult beverage, nice beach and good food. Just need a break from the insanity gripping the nation. Looking.for advice! Thanks and this has been the longest we have gone without diving in a long time. Bill (still dreaming.of Bonaire)

Why do you say Curacao is not possible? I was thinking of December but I am on one of the 4 states Curacao just opened. I want to know just in case I was miss informed about something.

Curacao was taken off my list for several reasons, we are from AR (covid hot spot), air $300 pp more, $200+ pp 'airport fee, much more expensive hotels....well I just got the feeling tourists were not really welcome. We are looking at Aruba more as a beach vacation not a dive vacation. Been wreck diving and it is only ok. Just not the same as a reef. We may be dive snobs but after all the dives we have been on i think we earned it. And no we don't log as a dive going in the pool to test drive our yearly regulator service. Lol

I've posted previously about our trip, now three years ago. Diving was enjoyable but not world class. Lots of swimming, snorkeling, beach time, some good restaurants. We stayed in an AirBnB. We would go again. Like any of the ABC islands, the weather is reliably good, and that was appealing after encountering unseasonably cold and windy weather on some previous trips elsewhere.

Curacao was taken off my list for several reasons, we are from AR (covid hot spot), air $300 pp more, $200+ pp 'airport fee, much more expensive hotels....well I just got the feeling tourists were not really welcome. We are looking at Aruba more as a beach vacation not a dive vacation. Been wreck diving and it is only ok. Just not the same as a reef. We may be dive snobs but after all the dives we have been on i think we earned it. And no we don't log as a dive going in the pool to test drive our yearly regulator service. Lol
Curacao is for shore diving, Aruba is for boat diving. So what you save on air and bed, you'll spend on boat rides.

I have been to Aruba to dive, it wasn't very deep on the 2 dives, the pedernales is about 30 fsw and the antilla is about 60. vis was fantistic life was good.

It appears we will go to Aruba but think we will save our diving for when Bonaire reopens. Really was just seeing how the beaches and food were. Thanks Bill

Back
Top Bottom