Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaweed27

New
Reaction score
I am taking a cruise to Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, St. Tomas. I would like to dive, however after working the industry in KW I have no desire to deal with the "hold you hand cattle boat catering vacationing hobby divers". At the same time I dont want to miss out on some awsome diving. I have found some shore diving spots in Aruba :) , I would like to try and find some beach/shore diving in the other islands as well. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Seaweed27

On St. T. the only place I know to shore dive legally is Coki Beach. I will ask a friend ref Barbados...

As for Barbados -- there is very few sites that could be considered 'shore diving'. What you can find:
1) Carlise Bay (located right by Bridgetown). 4 wrecks, lots of fish depth 40-60 "ish". You will have a surface swim, but I would consider it.

2) Folkstone Park (located up in Holetown). This is the island's marine park, so it's teaming with aquatic life.

3) At some LDS/charters, if they are situated in an ideal location, they might allow it.

Most charters will make arrangements to pick up passengers right at the dockside where the cruises come in, so that shouldn't be an issue. On my recent trip to Barbados (Feb/Mar) the charter I used was never crowded -- the max number of divers I think was 10. Although the DM was in the water with us, there was no coralling of divers... we basically stayed near the DM, but were left alone to "do our own thing".

Dove with Pelican in Aruba and liked it. Not much coral and the such but the fish were all over the place. They run pretty much all day long so you can pick your time. The most I saw on one boat was 8.

There are some very nice walls very close to shore at the extreme southern end of Dominica, called Scotts Head. When I was last there, you could drive your jeep right out to the point on the stones there. It was about a 30 yard swim out to the edge of the wall. I snorkeled there but also dove the site from a boat moored at the same location, so I'm sure you could shore dive it.
Dominica's beautiful and the drive down to Scott's Head takes you on twisty road often right at the water's edge. The diving's excellent, though not much in the way of big stuff.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom