Artifact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfrano

Registered
Reaction score
Not so much looking for propulsion vehicle, although many use SPV for this purpose. Looking for the smallest device I could use to move sand in a controlled manner. Thanks

You could make a small air lift out of PVC pipe, a 1/4 turn valve and some tubing. This is something that is usually getting the air from the surface but it could be done on scuba with a set of doubles, one tank for you and the other to run the air lift.

Having tried this with a real DPV, I can say that even one with infinite speed variation can be difficult to set low enough to effectively "dig" without forcing the diver away from the bottom. Something like a bladefish would probably be ideal.

since you posted in DPV's, this one is good to 100'. Adjustable buoyancy so maybe you could make it fairly negative.

Sea Doo GTI Seascooter - Powered Scooters by Discount Marine Supplies
I think there's some even cheaper clones on eBay.

Or the cheapest Bladefish^ which is only about $270 also.

Computer City: Churchill by Bladefish Squid 3000 Underwater Dive Scooter Propulsion System (Blue) - Dive Further for Longer!

I wonder if the Bladefish might have too wide a stream to be as effective. You could even add some sort of funnel shaped diffuser to the Sea_Doo.

I've dug with big scooters, ping pong paddles and air nozzles attached to the tank. As mentioned - the big scooters move a lot of sand + debris. When I cleared areas here in the NE I'd have to come back to the site because it was so turbid I couldn't work the site unless there was some good movement of water. The paddle was great because I was able to clear away stuff in a controlled manner, but tedious. The idea of using a dinky scooter could be appealing???

It all depends on what you're doing + where you're doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom