Article: We Dove or Did We Dive That Dive Site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the English major "dived" is the past tense of dive, not "dove"

I guess that depends on which dictionary you are using. From the Merriam-Webster.com/dictionary
[h=2]Usage Discussion of DIVE[/h]Dive, which was originally a weak verb, developed a past tense dove,probably by analogy with verbs like drive, drove. Dove exists in some British dialects and has become the standard past tense especially in speech in some parts of Canada. In the United States dived and dove are both widespread in speech as past tense and past participle, with dove less common than dived in the south Midland area, and dived less common thandove in the Northern and north Midland areas. In writing, the past tensedived is usual in British English and somewhat more common in American English. Dove seems relatively rare as a past participle in writing.

[h=2]Examples of DIVE[/h]
  • She dove into the swimming pool.
  • The children like to dive off the boat.
  • The competitors will be diving from the highest platform.
  • Many people enjoy diving on the island's coral reefs.
  • You can't dive in this water without a wet suit.
  • The submarine can dive to 3,000 feet.
  • The whale dove down to deeper water.

It's supposed to be dived--------but my way is dove.....:)

I can edit

Last edited by a moderator:
When asked, which has been often, I say "dived" - but I pronounce it to rhyme with "lived." :facepalm:

I have long thought "dove" sounded wrong, so I tend to use "dived." But I suspected both were deemed correct by grammarians.

Usually I use "dove" as in, "I dove that site today," and "dived" as in "I have dived that site many times."

For some reason there is a trend among my buddies to say "doven" as in "I havent doven there before." Where does that even come from? It maddens me.

The Oxford English Dictionary recognizes "dove" as a past tense of dive when used as a verb. "Ain't" is also recognized in both the Oxford and the US dictionaries, widely used in the 18th century.
However, if you use these, or any other words incorrectly, it will, as Tom Leher says, "..curve your spine and lose the war for the Allies".
Get over it!

For some reason there is a trend among my buddies to say "doven" as in "I havent doven there before." Where does that even come from? It maddens me.

That's understandable... everyone knows "diven" is correct.

(Is we is, or is we ain't literate?) :confused:

Back
Top Bottom