Article: Technical versus Recreational Scuba Diving: Why is there a need for Limitations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevonDiver,

With respect, you seem to be addressing non-decompression diving versus decompression diving, rather than recreational diving versus technical diving. This is bound to confuse any discussion which might be generated from your article.

Safe Diving,

Ronald

The article formulates that there's no need for deco diving at a recreational level. That the availability of appropriate training for deco now renders the need for 'recreational deco' null and void. It examines the 'grey' between the two arenas... and I've attempted to form a conclusion that there is no grey... that the need for limitations exists and can be reasonably drawn according to the training currently given by mainstream agencies.

With respect, you seem to be addressing non-decompression diving versus decompression diving, rather than recreational diving versus technical diving. This is bound to confuse any discussion which might be generated from your article.

Are you proposing that decompression diving is within your recreational boundaries? I'd be curious to hear more about that program...

I think he meant that you can easily be doing technical diving without deco... I consider any overhead environment, physical (ice, cave wreck) or physiological (deco) is technical diving

I thought I had mentioned in the article that there are 'other' types of technical diving, that don't necessarily involve deco. Those activities also entail limitations on 'recreational divers' - but I felt they were clear-cut enough not to merit detailed examination. Most people understand the difference between 'cavern' and 'cave'... and there aren't many arguements that support recreational divers doing extensive penetrations into an overhead environment.

It seems to me that 'virtual' overheads (depth/deco) are much more open to debate than physical ones. It's ok to argue for 10 minutes deco on a single tank. But I've never heard anyone propose that it's ok for 10 minutes of penetration into a cave system. Obviously, there are other factors besides the duration to the surface..

It's ok to argue for 10 minutes deco on a single tank. .

actually I disagree. 10 mins deco on a single is silly. If you need the 10 mins you either have been quite deep (most likely) or have crazy good sac(not as likely) or some combo of both. either way you are pushing things too much on a single. Even if you followed rock bottom (and if you think 10 mins deco on a single is OK, you most likely aren't following rock bottom) even a team environment doesn't give you enough of risk cushion to do these dives with a reasonable expectation of survival in in a "oh darn" situation

For me the only grey area is that discontinuity between D and no-D that is created by the different tables and computers. It is quite possible to be in deco status on a given set of tables yet have never been in deco status according to the computer on your arm ... and the other way round.

For me the only grey area is that discontinuity between D and no-D that is created by the different tables and computers. It is quite possible to be in deco status on a given set of tables yet have never been in deco status according to the computer on your arm ... and the other way round.
sure but when I PLAN a dive that requires 10mins of deco, I need to dive the plan as if the 10 mins of deco matter. part of the planning is deco table/algorithm selection

would I blow off 10 mins deco on a warm water dive following DCIEM tables.....sure I would if I had a compelling reason. Would I do the same with VPM with zero conservative very unlikely

I agree completely, once I plan a deco dive, if I dive the plan I have a ceiling and handle it as a "technical" dive. All I was getting at is that a grey area of time/depth pairs exist that one person may call a recreational dive and yet others may, legitimately, see as a technical dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom