Article: POP GOES THE EARS – HOW TO EQUALIZE WHEN DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think PADI should include these different techniques in the OW manual. The current manual really only talks about holding nose and blowing with a few vague references to other techniques. I had a hard time equalizing on OW checkout. After reading up on this forum and watching "The Diver's Ear" video I discovered Frenzel, Lowry and others. On recent trip discovered that Lowry is my best best to equalize. I'm also using docs pro plugs but probably don't need them.

I thought that the Frenzel Maneuver was like this:
Pinch Your Nose and Make the Sound of the Letter “K”
Close your nostrils, and close the back of your throat as if straining to lift a weight. Then make the sound of the letter “K.” This forces the back of your tongue upward, compressing air against the openings of your Eustachian tubes.

I've got a question about equalization that I have wanted to ask for years. I'll take this article as that opportunity.

I've practiced the Voluntary Tubal Opening technique to the point where I can hold my tubes open for an indefinite period of time - hours would not be an issue.

A few years ago at the start of a dive I used the Voluntary Tubal Opening technique at the surface, and held my tubes open through the ~6 minute initial descent. It was great (balanced pressure all the way down) but I never did it again as I was concerned that there may be negative repercussions to doing this. I didn't know if it may allow fluids to move into a location where they should not be, or if I really was equalizing pressure. Given the challenges my peers have had with equalization (especially in cold Arctic waters) it seemed too good to be true.

Are there any concerns surrounding holding your tubes in an open state throughout a descent, or a dive, or for extended periods of time?

Last edited:
[h=4]From a 2000 Scubaboard thread, it appears you are referring to

BEANCE TUBAIRE VOLONTAIRE (BTV)[/h]In the 1950's, the French Navy developed a technique for middle ear equalization called "Voluntary Tubal Opening".

Muscles of the soft palate are contracted while upper throat muscles are employed to pull the Eustachian tube open. This technique is similar to the events that happen in the back of your throat at the end of a yawn. It is also similar to wiggling your ears, and some people seem to be born with the talent, but many cannot master the technique reliably. For commercial divers and dive tenders in Hyperbaric chambers (people who spend many hours in decompression), there is an excellent opportunity to practice the technique while undergoing gradual and predictable pressure changes.

Since it can be practiced by those undergoing hours of deco, why wouldn't you be able to safely practice the technique as you describe?

John A Lewis, your link isn't going in the right direction. It actually takes me to a thread about servicing my own gear.

I am not sure if I am using the correct thread to post this.

I am a very new diver and only recently got my pool training done with my O/W dive yet to go and scheduled in April. My fear is that I won't be able to equalize after a large amount of trouble during the pool time at 10ft. I tried every technique I could find to attempt to hear the "pop" from my ears to no avail at atmospheric pressure. The only times I can remember hearing my ears ever pop was when I had a cold and had to blow my nose (unfortunately harder than I should have). Is there something I am doing wrong, or should I seek further medical advice? I really don't want to be that guy who can't dive on my O/W dive certification when I have already invested plenty of time and funds into this amazing sport.

You might not (shouldn't?) hear an audible "pop" but should feel the pressure subside. That is what you're going for.

When i'm descending and clearing I pinch my nose and lightly blow. I feel about 80% of the pressure come off. And I know i'm good to go down a few more feet. Rinse/repeat.

Back
Top Bottom