Article: Diving The Palos Verdes Peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Bottom Time,

Congratulations on researching, writing and publishing your long overdue dive guide book for Palos Verde. You put a heck of a lot into it but it is the Southern California diver and the underwater world who will get even more from your monumental efforts.

In the very early 1970s (Good gosh! 40 years ago!) I was a co-author along with Mr. Ron Merker (Dr.Bill's Basic (& only?)SCUBA Instructor) for the Orange County section of "Diving West." I am surprised and honored after all these many good and great years that a there is a modern diver who owned and used it as a dive guide

"Diving West" was unique in that it relied on experienced knowledgeable divers for their expertise and input on a specific area of the California coast- Ours was and still is Orange County; we included all the popular locations but there were some we did not disclose. Much to my surprise and I suspect also Ron's they apparently remain unknown and have not been dove to this day. I am relived that we did not disclose some of the locations, most were just too deep and dangerous for today's casual recreational diver.That is except one-- "Miller's Reef" off Moss street. I made a mistake of chatting with Dale Schlecker and made an off hand comment about Millers Reef- He proceeded in publishing it's location in CDN and later his guide book. The reef became for a short while "The OC dive spot, the grand central station of Laguna Beach diving." .So a word of warning keep the secret spots to your self and off the printed page.

In the first edition of Diving West encluded a very abreviated version of my popular article "Keep'en Kreepers." It was a step by step method of preserving marine life using common household items-now a lost art.

Diving West was unique in another way...It was the second dive guide published in the US. The first dive guide was way back in 1957; "Skin divers and spearfishermans guide to American waters" by the late Hilbert Schench and Henry Kendall.

Once again I congratulate you on your long overdue book,and wish you well in your future endeavors

SDM

My friends and I use to dive Flat Rock when we were in High School back in the EARLY 70's. After a long layoff I started diving again and though for nostalgia purposes it might be fun to try it again... One look at the trail and I climbed back into the car... Takes me too long to heal.

I am however looking forward to reading your site.

Thanks for the memories.
Rich

Honeymoon cove does not exist...

Honeymoon cove is one of the coolest dive sites in California. Among those I dive with its considerd one of the most unique dive sites do to its location, clarity of the water, lack of waves "ussualy". Did I mention humping a 130 up and down that hill. And 99% of the time you have the site all to yourself.

Whoops I mean Honeymoon cove does not exist.

Palos Verdes...I look forward to reading your book and finding a buddy willing to make the trek to those great spots. Thank you for sharing, contact me if you need a dive buddy willing to hike up and down the cliff!

Hey Phil & Merry -

It was great to meet both of you tonight at Pacific Wilderness. Thank you Phil for pointing out all the features throughout the book. The book has good details and I am excited to get out and dive.

Where can a guy purchase a copy of your book?

I grew up in Palos Verdes and spent years running up and down those cliff trails with either a surfboard or my dive gear depending on the swell. Is the Dominator still there, or is it completely gone by now? I haven't been back down there to dive since the early 80's. I was lucky enough to be in an Explorer Scout group that was affiliated with Marine Land. I worked there as a volunteer diver for a couple of years. I always wondered what happened to the place after it shut down.

It would be fun to do a walk down memory lane with a copy of your book…..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom