Article: Customizing Your Reg to Fit Your Diving Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I question your opinion on hose protectors. Can you expand on that point? I don't think they offer any real protection especially with miflex hoses.

I question your opinion on hose protectors. Can you expand on that point? I don't think they offer any real protection especially with miflex hoses.

I'm curious about that too, I've heard that they just hide dry-rot... If you're careful with how you handle/store your gear, are they even necessary?

I just put a swivel on my 2nd stage, and it really improves my jaw comfort when I am looking around. My second stage stays very nicely in my mouth, and I don't need to bite down. Thanks for the suggestion.

My swivel came on my Aeris Ion reg and I added a Seacure mouthpiece about a year later. Love them both.

I've also heard the benefits of hose protectors and questionable, so I don't have them.

good point - I've always had them on my hoses. Perhaps a "test" would be in order. I'll have to wait until I buy a new reg set up or get a couple brand new hoses and put them on - one with protector and one without and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback. (I will say... I'm not the most careful with handling and storing gear so I love bomb proof) :)

I'm curious about that too, I've heard that they just hide dry-rot... If you're careful with how you handle/store your gear, are they even necessary?

The big problem with hose protectors is that they might hide wear & tear. I've had hoses that starts bulging right next to the metal connection. At that point I want to replace the hose, and not have a hose "protector" that hides that fact.

The first thing I did when I got my new Scubapro regs was to *remove* the hose protectors.

+1 Seacure mouthpiece. A large bonus in comfort for me.

+0 Hose swivel. I have one on my sidemount reg (short hose), but on conventional rig, proper hose lengths should make them unnecessary. They're another failure point (o-rings)... so don't add unless you need to.

-1 Hose protector. I prefer to see wear on my hose (and replace in a timely manner). Also, they encourage rot/salt build-up etc at the hose/port junction. Again, the only hose protector I've left on my kit is on my sidemount reg (short hose) because it stiffens the hose from the 1st stage and aids with routing.

+10 Intelligently chosen hose lengths. Most divers seem unaware that they can replace 'standard' hoses with custom/varied length alternatives. It's worth considering and experimenting with - especially if you dive in locations where entanglement is a risk (remove those 'bowed out' hoses).

-1 Miflex HP hose. Reliability issues.

+1 Miflex LPI and IP hoses (except for long hose, 5-7') if you dive that... they're too light and slippy for 'hog looping'.

Not one of these modifications are new.....or that exciting!

The molded mouth piece came from the sport of boxing. It was introduced to the diving world in the 1970s by Ralph (Shamlin) Ousterhous as an accessory to his Farallon line .

The swivel regulator hoses was designed by Aussie photographer Ron Taylor and introduced to the American Diving public by US Divers in 1975 on the Conshelf reg as part number B-1087

High pressure braided stainless steel regulator hose was introduced by Healthways, an early giant in diving manufacturing now defunct in 1977 as part number 1630

The hose protectors were developed to avoid excessive strain on the bending of the hose. Originally it was a DIY mod made with copius amounts of electrical tape. Later it was introduced it into the American market as an accessory after sale item - some time later it appeared in the major manfactures catalogs.

Mouth piece holders were introduced in the 1960s as an NASDS product

Regulator clips about the same time frame by SCUBA pro

How about S.A.M. (Scuba air moisturizers? ) It was introduced by Farallon in 1975 as part number 12-1000.

Sheri I do not know your motivation but every thing you discussed has been around possibly before your were born and are certainly not new to the diving world. Suggest that you do your home work

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom