Article: Air integrated dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AI computer - have it, use it, like it. Reliability is just fine. Intermittent loss of signal can be annoying but not a safety issue. (I also dive with an SPG and a depth guage console anyway.) All the negatives I've seen above are not safety issues they are economic issues (if it doesn't work, my dive goes on but I'm pissed because I spent a lot of $$$ on it!) I'd be more worried about my computer crapping out causing me to abort the dive. Loss of the transmitter would not cause me to abort the dive (unless it popped off completely causing loss of air.)

It's true a diver should have a good sense of how much air is left in the tank without having to look at any type of gauge. However, diving without any gauge is completely reckless, of course. I use an Aeris A300 CS with the transmitter, but have an SPG as well. It's not much extra crap to haul around, and the redundancy is very reassuring. The AI has been very reliable and rugged. I also have a Spare Air tank, too--hope to never need it, but again, the redundancy makes for a safer and more pleasant diving experience.

Excellent article!

We have been using Air-Integrated hoseless dive computers ( AIHDC ) since the late '90's. I believe the failure rate of AIHDC is less than SPG's or Air integrated dive computers on a hose ( especially when used with a quick disconnect ).

As far as emulating an Xmas tree, the more SPG's you have the better:D!

Concerning accuracy & precision, the AIHDC are much more accurate & precise than SPG's.

The other advantage is being able to pair to your buddy's transmitter, pony tanks or side-mount.

As far as redundancy, use or carry an additional transmitter ( if you feel the need ).

2015 is almost here, why not use the technology that is available?

I have been on dives where I have seen the AI fail. I have yet to see an SPG fail. Not saying they don't. In my opinion it's always good to not rely on a computer but know your dive. Know what gas you have, know the limits, know the time, and dive that. That way, you don't really even need a computer. Just a good depth gauge and back up. That will definitely save some $$. It's always good to get back to shore and spend a minute calculating your sac, ft3 used, and time spent. That way you don't get rusty!!

Back
Top Bottom