Arriving by cruise ship....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Arriving by cruise ship and wondering if I should just use the ship's dive charter or can anyone give me other suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Bob C.

Either one is fine however I prefer to send my guests with SeaSports as they are a smaller operation than the cruise ship service provider.

Gaz Cooper

Gaz,

I am not a big cruise ship fan but found I could get to Cozumel, Belize, and the west end of Roatan for 400.00 per person this January... Figured I could get a taste of Cozumel and Belize on the cheep as we have already been to Roatan and already have another trip scheduled... What I do not like at all is doing the ships shore activities and much prefer to setup my own trips... Most cruise ships (I would assume) go to the nearest site and has been beat up pretty bad by all of the toursist with no regard to the reefs and life it supports... Me, I am looking for one heck of an experience and as long as I can make the ship departure, then all is good in my world!

So, If you don't mind... If your best friend was coming to the Island and you were going to be gone for the day; who would you suggest he/she go out with for 2-3 dives??? I hope you get my gist. Its pretty much the same line I use when I am in a new town looking for a restaurant...

FYI, me and my wife, both AOW and EANx... Over 100 dives each and been to Bonaire, Roatan, Atlantic Coast of the Carolinas along with lakes and quarrys...!

Thanks, lee

PS As of now, I have Aldora Diver in Cozumel setup...

Either one is fine however I prefer to send my guests with SeaSports as they are a smaller operation than the cruise ship service provider.

Gaz Cooper

Oops, Sorry Bob... I hope you don't mind since it looks like we are both looking for the same, a quality dive!!!

lee

Arriving by cruise ship and wondering if I should just use the ship's dive charter or can anyone give me other suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Bob C.

Hey Guys

That is the reason I use Seasports for all my cruise ship guests they are a smaller operation and a bit more personal than the cruise ship operator who is an excellent operator but of course they are dealing with large volumes of divers.

There are lots of sites available and they are chosen on the day depending on the weather conditions but for sure you will get a couple of nice dives but please take into account that you are limited due to time in port etc. You are guaranteed to make your ships departure and its a full day trip which includes lunch and is $112.50 per diver.

You can either drop me an email at http://www.divebelize.com/?page_id=541 and I cansort it out for you or you can book direct with seasports.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post

best regards

Gaz

Last edited:
Thanks Gaz,

I don't want to speak for Bob but Sea Sports looks like they work directly with the Cruise ship... If this is the case then I will pass on them. To much like a Cattle Call and I am looking for a boat that will carry 10 or so divers...

On second thought, I sent them an email with @ 6-7 questions and we will see where this takes us...

I saw on another forum that you, like myself, do not care for the cruise dives as well;

"You will arrive in Belize City for your cruise and there are no dive sites nearby so you will have to travel by fast boat about 45 minutes or so out to the barrier reef, the diving in that area is Ok but nothing special"

I agree that a week would be a much better option but this trip is just to get a taste. I hope we get a little lucky and end up having a good day...

Thanks again, lee

Hey Guys

That is the reason I use Seasports for all my cruise ship guests they are a smaller operation and a bit more personal than the cruise ship operator who is an excellent operator but of course they are dealing with large volumes of divers.

There are lots of sites available and they are chosen on the day depending on the weather conditions but for sure you will get a couple of nice dives but please take into account that you are limited due to time in port etc. You are guaranteed to make your ships departure and its a full day trip which includes lunch and is $112.50 per diver.

You can either drop me an email at gazcoopers at gmail.com and I cansort it out for you or you can book direct with seasports.

If you have any other questions please feel free to post

best regards

Gaz

Hi Lee

I can see where you going with this and Im in agreement the only problem you will have is Belize City does not have that many dive shops to choose from.

Seasports does not work with the Cruise ship directly but they offer diving to those that do not want to book through the ship and prefer something a little smaller other than dive with the Cruise ships chosen dive op which of course will have a lot of divers.

Unfortunateley because of the location that the Cruise ship anchors you have very limited choices and will have to be a little flexible on your requirements if you wish to dive when visiting Belize for this short time.

Places like Cozumel Roatan you weill have many more choices in belize city you have pretty much 2 choices.

I have sent many people with Seasports and never had a complaint and they do a good job for those that dont want to dive directly with the cruise ship operator.

As for the diving the cruise ship docks just off shore from the city in nice muddy waters you have to take a boat out to the reef and the diving, like i have said is nice but no comparison for the best diving Belize has to offer in such places as Lighthouse Reef, Turneffe Islands and Glovers Atoll, plus a few select dives off Ambergris Caye.

Visiting by Cruise ship does not allow you to dive any of those spots due to time constraints.

You may just wish to skip the diving out of Belize City and do a mainland adventure instead and then coming back to Belize at a later time and dive the best of Belize.

best regards

Gaz

Holy Crap. DO NOT SKIP BELIZE! Go with the cruise ship option. Have done it 3 times with Carnival and you are picked up at the ship, do not have to tender, and the diving is wonderful.

Tool thanks for jumping in. The Legend 7 day cruise out of Tampa is only 489 for 7 days and stops in G.Cayman, Coz, Belize and Rotan.
I can't even fly to Coz for that and that's room, board and trans. Another 450 for 4 days of diving and I just don't see how I can beat that.

I'll do the ship's Op in Belize, stick with Aldora in Coz and see what others say about Roatan.

Thanks guys
Bob C.

Roatan we went with AKR. Gr8 operation check out their web site.

We are on that cruise January 9th, when you going?

We have not decided on a Coz and GC operator yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom