Arrecifes Nat'l Park (Reef) Cozumel Temporarily Closing Oct 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are heading to Cozumel on the 26th for Day of the Dead and Halloween diving and I just saw this article on FB, posted by Scuba Diving Magazine. (Note: I used the word "Closing" in heading because "activities temporarily suspended" just wouldn't fit! I don't mean to mislead anyone.) From the article:

"Beginning on October 7, 2019, underwater activities will be temporarily suspended within a large portion of the Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park. The affected area begins at Palancar Reef and includes all points south, such as Columbia Reef and the site known as El Cielo. The closure is part of a strategy to give this highly trafficked area a rest, helping better preserve the sites long-term."

I wonder if this means the open sites will be much busier - or if the reduced traffic of the winter months will offset it. Anyway, I thought others might like to know.

We are heading to Cozumel on the 26th for Day of the Dead and Halloween diving and I just saw this article on FB, posted by Scuba Diving Magazine. (Note: I used the word "Closing" in heading because "activities temporarily suspended" just wouldn't fit! I don't mean to mislead anyone.) From the article:

"Beginning on October 7, 2019, underwater activities will be temporarily suspended within a large portion of the Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park. The affected area begins at Palancar Reef and includes all points south, such as Columbia Reef and the site known as El Cielo. The closure is part of a strategy to give this highly trafficked area a rest, helping better preserve the sites long-term."

I wonder if this means the open sites will be much busier - or if the reduced traffic of the winter months will offset it. Anyway, I thought others might like to know.

Huge discussions on this in multiple threads on the Cozumel forum.

Huge discussions on this in multiple threads on the Cozumel forum.

So sorry. I briefly looked at the Cozumel page - must have missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom