Arms hacked of Italian Christ of Abyss Statue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having no arms sure hasn't hurt the Venus de Milo. In a couple of centuries, people will get over this statue vandalism and wonder why they ever thought the statue needed arms in the first place.
Why would the Scuba Satanists bother with the arms? If it was them, they would have more likely just have knocked off nine fingers so the statue would be sending a personal message to each and every diver.

"Scuba diving satanist'?

How would they know? Did they see their cert cards?

Does PADI even have that as a specialty yet?

"Tired of just blowing bubbles? With PADIs new "Scuba diving Satanist" specialty you'll be blowing Beelzebubbles in no time.."

:wink:

Bwahaha! Hilarious! :rofl3:

Seriously, though... did they have any proof that the offenders were 'Satanists'? From what I read, I find it somewhat unlikely that it was anything more than an assumption. I just can't stand that 'us and them' mindset that is kinda leaking from this story. Non-Christians are not automatically Satanists / evil / whatever, good grief.

I'd bet it was either an accident or some damn kids. It's a shame that the statue was damaged, though.. regardless of whether it was an accident or intentional vandalism.

"Scuba diving satanist'?

How would they know? Did they see their cert cards?

Does PADI even have that as a specialty yet?

"Tired of just blowing bubbles? With PADIs new "Scuba diving Satanist" specialty you'll be blowing Beelzebubbles in no time.."

:wink:

wow...I think I need to change my screen name to Beelzebubbles!!!!!!!:shocked2::rofl3:

Anyway...sucks that people (regardless of their religous orientation) feel the need to vandalize anything! Morons at one of the local quarries I dive are ripping apart parts of a plane they sunk as an attraction...stupid!:lotsalove:

Scuba Exorcist?

is that a PADI Speciality course also?

Yes! I've heard it is taught by an old priest and a young priest, and there was something about split pea soup and levitation mentioned in the course description.... I thought they were referring to low viz and bouyancy control.... silly me. :D

Best wishes.

Note: Despite the silliness, it is sad that divers, Satanists or not, would intentionally damage things. Sigh.

Ok since it's all heading back to sincere expressions of disgust over the arms being removed let us have a little perspective. It's not like this christ statue is alive, it hasn't been dragged from the depths to have it's arms cut off, it hasn't then been thrown back alive to then drown a miserable slow death and this same cycle doesn't occur approx 250,000 times a day.:shakehead:

Look for the local restaurant selling "christ hand soup" they'll be your culprits, and hope it doesn't catch on as there won't be an effigy safe anywhere..

Plumb bob:
let us have a little perspective.

It's not like shark finning kills people. Murder is far worse.

I really wish you had a point. Yes, there are worse crimes than vandalism, but it's still a crime and those responsible still should be caught and punished. The fact there are worse crimes is not a defense. You sound like a 12 year old trying not to get grounded.

I'd bet it was either an accident or some damn kids. It's a shame that the statue was damaged, though.. regardless of whether it was an accident or intentional vandalism.

I don't know how you can accidentally knock both arms off a statue 70 feet deep(stone? Concrete?) AND take them with you. I don't buy the satanist story either- removing the arms, its not a big deal. If they truly wanted to do some damage, there are a lot worse ways they could have vandalized it to effect the morale of believers. Some tool just thought it would be cool to take them.

That being said, WWJD? he'd turn the other cheek of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom