Arm lengths for very wide angle cave-floor pictures?

Best arm length combination for wide angle stills

• 8" and 6" arms

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 8" and 8" arms

• 12" and 8" arms

• 12" and 12" arms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16" and 8" arms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16" and 12" arms

• 16" and 16" arms

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I am shooting a panasonic lx10 with nauticam wide angle wet lens, using two sea&sea YS-D1 strobes, shooting the floor of a cave from 5-10 feet above (depending on how well these strobes light it up). Flat, even lighting is critical for my data collection. I've been reading about strobe position. It seems like most people prefer a 6" and an 8" arm, but I was thinking that longer arms would be better for my application, maybe 12", or 1 12 and 1 16? I have some unbranded 8" float arms, so the cheapest way to go would be only one set of new arms, maybe 16, but 16 would probably be very cumbersome without a pair of 12s to help them fold up into a tighter package for transport (without breaking it down).

I'm grateful for any thoughts.

The arm length desired is really dependent on the camera-subject distance, and the water clarity, in addition to artistic factors like shadows. In most open water, you want as little backscatter as possible, so want to keep the arms out where you can get maybe a 45 deg angle for the light to hit the subject (90 deg would mean the light is beside the lens). Thus, you see enormous arms beside dome ports as people try and mitigate backscatter
article13332_3.jpg

If your water is really clear, as I expect you will have, you can tolerate shorter arms. After all, if the subject is 5 ft away, then having an arm sticking out the side 5 ft (to get 45 deg) is just a bit awkward! I think the main reason people use short arms is for out-of-water carrying convenience, not for lighting for wide-angle.....short is nice for macro, of course.

thanks for the comment. The water is very clear, though it would probably be a good thing to have some option to deal with it if there is some debris. That pic shows a single arm on either side, but I figured I would use a pair on each side, mostly so that it's collapsible, but also to give me options. maybe 12" and my 8" floaters would be ok...

That was the first picture i found. Her are multiple arms. I've sen up to four on each side.
strobe-positioning-5-638.jpg

I find two on each side enough of a hassle. With my WWL-1 I've used 2x8" on each side, and 8"+10" on each side. Some have been float arms, some have been arms with foam STIX floats, some have been naked. 4 years and I'm still playing with it. Never taken a picture of the floor of a cave, however.

Start with a 12" and 8" on each side. If you're getting too much scatter, then angle your strobes away a bit instead of straight forward. From that far away, you shouldn't have too many hot spots.

thanks for the comments. I am currently leaning toward getting a set of 12" to pair with my 8" float arms, however I am thinking about whether I really NEED two-part arms, and now considering getting one pair of 16" arms and using them alone... I'm grateful for any additional thoughts.

cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom