Argon cylinder / no valve / 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
An argon cylinder normally has a lot of "valve + 1st stage" and little "cylinder". So I decided to reduce it to the max, no valve anymore. I made an adapter between cylinder and 1st stage. To reduce the 1st stage's volume and weight I took an Apeks Flight.
The result is what you see.
The cylinder must be filled by its HP port, therefor a non return valve is needed. First I tried Scubapro High Preasure "Quick Disconnect" Connector | #154094188 but this did not work at all, the inner sealing came out of the scubapro connector. This quick connector is NOT made to fill a cylinder, so no accusation.
I produced my own non return valve, this is the knurled part. You fill it by its M5 thread. Inside are parts of Poseidon Xstream regulator: cytel seat and ball.
The cylinder is 1 lt 300 bar.
Works fine so far.

Attachments

• Argon 1.jpg
    Argon 1.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Argon 2.jpg
    Argon 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Argon 3.jpg
    Argon 3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Argon 4.jpg
    Argon 4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Argon 5.jpg
    Argon 5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Argon 6.jpg
    Argon 6.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Argon 7.jpg
    Argon 7.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 196
If a hose comes apart, is there any way to shut it off?

No, the adapter ist not tank thread to DIN. I took away the 1st stage's DIN parts. The Apeks Flight has a M19.8x1.27 thread, so the adapter has this thread and the M18x1.5 cylinder thread.

No, if I have any dammage, for ex. broken hose, I loose all the argon. As the cylinder is very small and I can not reach the cylinder very well I don't think I could stopp the total loss of gas by closing a valve anyway. I guess cylinder is empty before I close the valve. And even if I could save some argon by closing the valve I can not use it anymore because the hose is dammaged. Having no valve seems to be a negativ point but the more I think about it the less I think it is a real disadvantage.

The OPV is fixed on the 1st stage you can see it on the pic. Yes it is strongly recommended to use a OPV.

Attachments

• InkedInkedArgon OPV_LI.jpg
    InkedInkedArgon OPV_LI.jpg
    935.8 KB · Views: 154
FA is filling adapter. I will post some details about it later

This is a 1 lt 300 bar steel cylinder. But you can use any M18x1.5 cylinder.

JD, this looks great indeed!
The 1/8"NPT is slighty smaller then the HP port's UNF7/16. But there is not enough difference to put an adaptor in between. So I guess I will reproduce the fitting's body: outside thread UNF7/16, inside the check valve. The Foster fitting (I think this is the coupling) I will leave away and make an even shorter filling adapter.
The great advantage of this check valve is the fact that it is located inside the thread which makes the whole thing much shorter and also smaller in diameter.
I hope I can get this Foster fitting in Switzerland or at least in Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom