Are zipties used for diving gear just regular zip ties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've noticed that zipties are used for securing various things, including securing your inflator hose to your bcd and power inflator.

Are these just regular, hardware store zipties, or are they specialty zip ties?

They look like regular zip ties, but I'd like to confirm that.

I'm putting together a "save a dive" box and am wondering if I can just buy heavy duty zip ties from the hardware store.
Dive Gear Express use to stock low profile zip ties. I preferred them over the normal ones which irritated my lip when using them to strap the mouthpiece. Use any type to secure it. Add superglue to your kit.

You must purchase the waterproof variety.

:wink:

Home Depot has the best assortment of zip ties I've seen in my area. I keep 3 different sizes in my save a dive box along with Velcro strips used for electrical work. Velcro is great for hose management they can be reused many times. Also use Velcro strips do secure the retractors I use to my harness. Velcro my LP inflator hose to the corrugated hose, Velcro my can light cord to my harness. These things help to streamline my gear and secure it better.

Harbor Freight Tools sells Velcro in rolls. It’s the type with hooks on one side, and fuzz on the other, so it’s perfect for securing hoses, and lots of other things. You can cut it to any length or width. Holds up very well in salt water.
I love the stuff.

The metal tang has been known to rust out. I'm sure good stainless does exist.
The lay flat "Cobra" cable ties are great. The junction of the two ends is parallel to each other, not 90°.
Get some small "flush cut" cutters for trimming the tail off. This makes a nice cut and not that razor sharp burr that traditional cutters leave behind.

Thomas & Betts Ty-Rap

Stainless tab. VERY durable.

I second this. Last time I bought them was probably a few years ago, so I went and checked out the price. Yow! $32 for 100 of them. I think I paid eight dollars last time I bought them. Having said that, they’re the right tool for the job: The stainless tab makes them much stronger and more durable, and they have a much finer grooved part, which allows them to tighten down even more in smaller increments. And all of the edges are rounded, which makes it much smoother if it happens to go up against your lips for whatever reason. Pair them with a good pair of flush cutters (which are cheap on Amazon), and you have a solid combination for mouthpieces.

I third the Thomas and Betts. Many years ago I worked for a marine wholesaler and this was the brand we carried due to their saltwater resistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom