Are yokes interchangeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nostromo

Registered
Reaction score
Specificly are they interchangeable between brands of regulators, e.g. would a yoke from an Apeks screw into the first stage on a ScubaPro?

thanks,
e.a.e.

Generally the answer is "maybe". The hex nut part of the yoke "nuts" tend to be fairly standard at 1" (although this is not universal) but the specifics of the threaded portions differ greatly and these are generally not interchangeable.

The yoke itself is not made to any standard so they will differ in both thickness as well as diameter of the hole. You can sometimes swap them with no or minor modification but not always. (And if new yokes are still available, there is no reason to do so.)

To make it more complicated, some regs use a yoke that is retained by a nut while others (including many USD/Aqualung regs) use a threaded yoke that itself serves as the nut. Given that one is an "innie" and one is an "outie" the two will not interchange without some serious machining. Some regs also use a male threaded post on the first stage as well as bushing style yoke nut that fits inside the yoke and then holds the yoke in place. This tends to result in relatively large hole in the yoke nut compared to a yoke retained by a yoke retainer that screws into the first stage.

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is that I put up a set of three Apeks yokes on eBay, and a guy wanted to know if he could use them with his ScubaPro reg. My first inclination was to say "of course!" but now I'm glad I asked. If you don't mind, I'll send him a link to your response.

thanks again,
e.a.e.

DA Aquamaster:
Generally the answer is "maybe". The hex nut part of the yoke "nuts" tend to be fairly standard at 1" (although this is not universal) but the specifics of the threaded portions differ greatly and these are generally not interchangeable.

The yoke itself is not made to any standard so they will differ in both thickness as well as diameter of the hole. You can sometimes swap them with no or minor modification but not always. (And if new yokes are still available, there is no reason to do so.)

To make it more complicated, some regs use a yoke that is retained by a nut while others (including many USD/Aqualung regs) use a threaded yoke that itself serves as the nut. Given that one is an "innie" and one is an "outie" the two will not interchange without some serious machining. Some regs also use a male threaded post on the first stage as well as bushing style yoke nut that fits inside the yoke and then holds the yoke in place. This tends to result in relatively large hole in the yoke nut compared to a yoke retained by a yoke retainer that screws into the first stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom